We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shortlisting locations for Switzerland

Mumbai, India
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shortlisting locations for Switzerland

Hi folks,

I'm planning a 11-12 day trip to Switzerland, in the first week of May. I have a ton of questions and I've been reading up extensively as well. Can you help please? Here's what my preference, city of entry and requirements are. Would love to hear your expert views!

Entering and exiting from Zurich

Family trip with 7 people of which 2 are kids (aged 6 and 11)

First trip to Europe for me. Some of the others have been to Italy, Florence, Greece, Milan.

What I've gathered so far from speaking to people is that must-see places are Jungfrau, Geneva, Montreux, Zermatt, Lucerne.

Specific sights to see are the Matterhorn (which I totally want to do), Rhine Falls, the Golden Line train (which also sounds damn good) and Mt. Titlis.

We're planning to spend a few nights each in Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt and Geneva.

Are any of these places over-hyped? If the sights and smells are going to be same across any of these places, then should I drop some of this? If yes, then what?

Any chance of catching any snow around this time?

Any cool zoos that are a must-see? The 6-year old boy travelling with me is quite big on animals.

We don't want to do an extra strenuous trip. Ideally, I'd like to have 1 day of nothing, so that just in case we miss a few items on our itinerary, I have some backup time to work with. Also, in general, we're not the ultra adventurous types, so something light, easy, well-paced out would be ideal.

How's Glacier 3000?

Is there any other city I should consider? Is the list of overnight cities okay (Lucerne, Zermatt, Geneva, Zurich, Interlaken)?

What's the best place for biking? Again, not too strenuous, but just for the experience.

Lastly, do you think there is any merit in cutting short the time in Switzerland and in place of that, throwing in some time in either Austria, France (Paris), or then Slovenia? I'm in a dilemna right now because I do not want to cut away from the Switzerland experience and at the same time, I'm also very tempted to do atleast part of another country as well.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,209 Reviews
from $161.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,026 Reviews
from $170.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
355 Reviews
from $245.60*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
660 Reviews
from $106.20*
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,571 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shortlisting locations for Switzerland

Hi Gold2014

One tip first, you are overloading your itinerary and there will not be enough time left to enjoy the different areas. With twelve days I would limit the number of bases on two or maximum three.

May is not a good time for tourists in the higher Alps. Many hotels and other installations will be closed for maintenance or vacation as May is between the seasons this time of the year. Otherwise May is a wonderful time at the lake areas.

I would suggest two bases, one could be Montreux or nearby Vevey - www/Montreux-vevey.com and Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum) - the other one would be Lucerne - www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) -. From both bases there are enough excursions you can do in the area. Try not to spend more than two hours in a train (one way) for a day excursion. For all public transport information look at www.sbb.ch/en and for rail passes see www.swisstravelsystem.ch .

You would be able to touch snow on different places in May (depends a lot the weather until then). For sure you could be in the snow (all year round) on Top of Mt. Titlis - www.titlis.ch - which I would warmly recommend from Lucerne.

Happy planning

2. Re: Shortlisting locations for Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 23, 2015