We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on places which should not be missed

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on places which should not be missed

Hi All,

Will really appreciate if you can provide me some info/suggestions on the places which you think are not to be missed when visiting Switzerland.

I will be travelling with my family in mid july from UK.

We are interested in scenic beauty more than anything else.

Our plan is to fly into Zurich and same day take a train to Lucernce.

Day1: spend time in Lucerne

Day2: Early morning visit Mt Pilatus and then go to Grindelwald

Day3: Mt Jungfrau

Day4:Take a train to Montreux,visit Chateau de Chillon and then fly out of Geneva.

However, due to budget constraints I am having to review my plan and will need to cut short my plan.

I was thinking of dropping the visit to Mt jungfrau as it seems to be expensive.

Will greatly appreciate if you could provide me with some suggestions on how to replan.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Mount Pilatus
Mount Pilatus
4,863 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
533 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Chateau de Chillon
Chateau de Chillon
3,447 Reviews
Veytaux, Switzerland
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,979 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on places which should not be missed

Hi WorldTravellerFromUK

A/ Switzerland is full of attractions. It is impossible to list them here

B/ If you are traveling on a tight budget and as you only have a short time available I would recommend you stay in one area and do excursions from there. If you would decide for Lucerne look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

C/ for other areas look at www.myswitzerland.com where you can find information on all areas of Switzerland

D/ If you would need our help we would need to know what time of the year you will be visiting.

E/ There is a lot of information about planning a trip in Switzerland and even for budget travelers on the Top Questions about Switzerland (right side of your screen). It is worth to look at them.

Happy planning

pore

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on places which should not be missed

Thanks Pore.

I am visiting in mid July.

I have done a bit of a research before coming up with the itenarary but the problem is I am confused as to what to see and what can be missed as all the places seem to be beautiful.

I would like to do at least one scenic train journey and one mountain and a lake .

I am now thinking of dropping out Mt .Jungfrau mainly due to the expense of the trip to it ,in that case do you think going to Grindelwald will make sesne or should I drop Grindelwald as well?

Or

Dropping chillion castle Montreux would be better .

Please advise

Mentioned in this post
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
533 Reviews
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Montreux
Montreux
Adelaide
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on places which should not be missed

If you drop the Jungfrau because of the expense. Why not go to the Shilthorn. It is more than half the cost.

It is a wonderful trip going through the Lautterbrunnen Valley up through a beautiful village of Murren and then onto the Shilthorn (if you wish) the views from the top are 360 degrees and a revolving restaurant there too at good prices. You will not be dissapointed in this day!

You may not even want to go all the way to the Shilthorn (due to cost) and only go to Murren.

Stay in either Lautterbrunnen, Murren or Grimmelwald.

If you decide this day make sure you get on the right train carraige to go to Lautterbrunnen because part of this train disconnects and goes to Grindelwald.

Even if just going to Grindelwald you will have great scenery.

I suggest you check out websites on all these places and you will see what type of scenery appeals to you better.

Mentioned in this post
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
533 Reviews
Murren
Murren
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Adelaide
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on places which should not be missed

correction to my last post I meant the Shilthorn is less than half the price of going to the Jungfrau

Mentioned in this post
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
533 Reviews
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,979 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on places which should not be missed

Hi WorldTravellerFromUK

I do not think Schilthorn would be a good idea as like Jungfraujoch it is to far away from Lucerne and Grindelwald is a place I like a lot but only for mountain excursions and there will be to little time left to do them from Lucerne.

There is a great alternative described on the Top Questions about Lucerne it is the Brienz Rothorn roundtrip. On this roundtrip you would have train and bus to Soerenberg first and then the cable car up to Brienz Rothorn with the great views over lake Brienz. From there you take the steam train down to Brienz from where you can take the Bruenig railway (Northern leg of the Goldenpass) back to Lucerne. In my opinion this is one of the best roundtrips for people who like scenic rail tours.

Have fun

pore

Mentioned in this post
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,785 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,465 Reviews
Lucerne
Lucerne
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Brienz
Brienz
Rothorn
Rothorn
288 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,493 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on places which should not be missed

First check the exact dates of the Montreux Jazz Festival. If your plans to visit Montreux coincide with those dates then do not go. Montreux is wall to wall people then, hotels are very expensive and even getting accomodation is difficult. With a short time in this country I think Pore's suggestion is right - stay in the Luzern area. there is a lot to see and to do there. If you must, then split the trip between Luzern and the Jungfrau region (but not Interlaken). But don't add in Montreux if the Festival is on nor if you want to really explore the places that are already on your list.

Mentioned in this post
Montreux Jazz Festival
Montreux Jazz Festival
61 Reviews
Montreux, Switzerland
Montreux
Montreux
Lucerne
Lucerne
Jungfrau Region
Jungfrau Region
Interlaken
Interlaken
7. Re: Suggestions on places which should not be missed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 22, 2015