We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland Road Trip

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Topic
Switzerland Road Trip

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a road trip across Switzerland. We would like to start from Zurich and finish our road trip at Geneva. We would like to cover places like Interlaken, Gstaad, Lausanne, Verbier and Geneva. We plan to do this over 10 days. We plan to stay at Luxurious accommodations may be hotels or Chalets. It would be great if you could suggest an itinerary and accommodation recommendations.

Also from Geneva we were looking of driving to Champagne Valley in France and spend a night there.

It will be great to hear from you.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,812 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland Road Trip

Hi Rishabh148 and welcome on the forum

There is a huge difference in driving a car through Switzerland from India. Not only you drive the right side of the road but also the laws are different. There are even places where you can not drive to. Otherwise Switzerland has a great public transport system which is a great experience on itself. I would rather recommend to use public transport.

If we should give you tips, we would at least need to know which time of the year you are going to be in Switzerland.

I would recommend you read the many great tips collected on the Top questions about Switzerland to start you up. Also you can get a lot of information on www.myswitzerland.com the official website of Swiss tourism.

Happy planning

pore

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland Road Trip

Hey,

Thanks for your response. I have lived in Geneva for about 4 months and have travelled around by driving a car.

My wife and I plan to reach Zurich on May 29th and leave switzerland from Geneva on the 10th of June.

We would love to drive around the beautiful country rather a train just to be able to plan as per our times.

Thanks in advance.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,812 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland Road Trip

Hi Rishabh148 again

There are many routings you can take. It is not sure that the Alpine passes will be open then (you can follow on tcs.ch/de/…prognosen.php click on the map and see which pass roads are open).

One option which would be available the time you are travelling would be Zurich - Lucerne - Bruenig pass - Meiringen - Interlaken - Spiez - Zweisimmen - Gstaad - Chateau dOex - Vevey - Lausanne - Geneva.

I would recommend you look at www.viamichelin.com or google maps where you would like to pass.

For hotels google hotels, place your are looking for and you will find them or look at www.myswitzerland.com

Happy planning

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,614 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland Road Trip

Pore has given you some good links. Personally I would avoid mountain resorts in early June. They tend to be very very quiet since ski season is over and summer season has not started.

I think you need to review your plans - either come back in the summer or early autumn and do what you list or change things a lot.

How are you planning to get to the Champagne area? (Which means Epernay or Reims?) You can't rent a car here and drop it there without huge drop charges... So you really need to be thinking about trains. And then renting a car from either Reims or Epernay. You could,logically, get to either from Basel via Strasbourg or from Geneva or Lausanne via Paris...

5. Re: Switzerland Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 16, 2015