We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland

How shall i start my trip to Switzerland,should i use public transport there and which important places

to vist, thanks

Mentioned in this post
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,231 Reviews
from $161.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Full-Day Sightseeing...
1,040 Reviews
from $167.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from $256.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from $256.30*
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,799 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland

Hi suniel77

How shall i start my trip to Switzerland

Read the information on the Top Questions about Switzerland and think about what you would like to see and to do. What time of the year will you be travelling? How much time will you have available?

should i use public transport there

Definitively, yes. Public transport brings you from anywhere to everywhere and it is dead easy to use. For more information look at www.sbb.ch/en and for rail passes on www.swisstravelsystem.ch (once you know where you would like to go you will need to do the math yourself to know which pass is the best for you).

Maybe one tip, do not plan to do too much. Stay at least four nights in one base and do day excursions from there.

Happy planning

pore

Mentioned in this post
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland

To add to Pore's suggestions - also take a look at www.myswitzerland.com which is the site of our national tourist office and which has all sorts of great ideas, good links etc. And is just beautiful to look at as well!!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland

Thanks for your feedback.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland

Hi Suniel,

I have recently travelled to switzerland and these were a few points i thought would help other travellers.

Tips for indian travellers

Book your excursions/travel pass at Swiss tours. Saves the hassle and the time on the queues.

Buy the swiss saver pass. It is great value for money.

Kids between 6-16 travel free if accompanied by atleast one parent. Endorse the kids names on the family

card.

If not stamped with the date,you will have to validate the swiss pass at the sbb train centre before you board.

It also covers travel in buses and boats and entrance to select museums.

Look for the sbb or bls sign on the transport.

Information is given in four languages. English is one of them. Please pay attention when the announcements are being made. Some train journeys are interrupted and you may have to change coaches/ mode of transport.

Download the sbb app for android/ios.

It makes life really simple. But keep it on for live updates, as trains can change platforms at major stations just beore it arrives

Most major spots will have a tourist information centre. Its marked by (i) .If in doubt,you can go to one of these centres.

In switzerland you are expected to be well informed. Information is available online.

For those who are interested in a more leisurely holiday.The best way to explore switzerland is by bicycle. Most train stations will have a bike rental service. Rates are reasonable. If travelling on the train by bike...look if bicycles are allowed. The display in the stations will show the bike sign. So will the sbb app.

Best to ask for bike routes map for the local area.

Helmets are available for free.

Its a great idea to explore small towns like speiz and meringen near interlaken.

Hidden gems,but might be a problem for vegetarians.

Hiking routes are marked at most villages/attractions.

Early april is probably not the best tine to go to switzerland if you want to make the most of the rides. Cogwheel rails/ scooter bike trails/dinner cruises are available May onwards. When we went on 11 th april..all of grindewald was closed. No activity at all.

You can opt for a first class pass if you are going between may and oct. Transfers will become easy.

Money exchange is done at all railway stations and all banks.

For the chocolate train tickets are 99CHF. You can easily travel for free right to the factory on the normal swiss pass. The name of the station is Broc fabrique. You can buy tickets fr the factory tour at the reception once you reach the factory(callier).

Carry your swiss pass and a copy if your passport at all times.

Hope this helps

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switzerland

That was a pretty good summary, bijoyM - thank you!

Only one thing I do not think is accurate - you say you can "opt for a First class pass if going between May and October" -- in fact you can buy a First class pass any time of the year. And I am unclear as to what "Swiss Tours" might be. If this is a travel agency chances are the pass or whatever you get there will come with a service charge. Or do you mean something else?

Swiss pass includes entrance to some 440 museums all over the country. Which is most of them in fact! There is a link to a complete listing on the SBB site - or use this one:

museumspass.ch/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Mu…

Mentioned in this post
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
327 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland
7. Re: Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 24, 2015