We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
489 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

Hi, would someone be so kind as to give this a once-over glance and see if anything stands out as "odd" to them? Thank you! I am choosing Switzerland as the country to spend my 40th birthday. I will be doing all of this alone (my preference...don't feel sorry for me! haha). Also, for this itinerary, is the Swiss Pass my best bet economically. And if so, I would need to buy the 22 day pass? This trip is 17 days start to finish but wasn't sure if there was a way to get the 15 day one instead and make it work somehow?

Oh, and I am like an Energizer Bunny when I travel. I will have tons of energy off the plane and little to no jet lag, so the first day is completely doable for me just in case some might think it is "too much" right off a plane.

-----

Fri, Aug 15: ZurichBern – Montreax (4-5 hour stopover for Walking Tour of Bern with pm arrival into Montreax)

Sat, Aug 16: Montreax (Chillon), Vevey, Lavaux Villages

Sun, Aug 17: Gruyere, Broc Chocolate Factory tour; head to Zermatt in later pm hours (2.5 hr travel time on 5:40p or later train Montreax to Zermatt)

Mon, Aug 18: Zermatt

Tues, Aug 19: Zermatt

Wed, Aug 20: Zermatt to BO (3:12 travel time, leaving whenever I feel like it that day)

Thurs, Aug 21: Bernese Oberland (Jungfrau)

Fri, Aug 22: Bernese Oberland (Gimmelwald, Schilthorn, Trummelbach)

Sat, Aug 23: Bernese Oberland (Ballenberg, Grindelwald, lakes, various hiking)

Sun, Aug 24: Bernese Oberland (more hiking, Schynige Platte, whatever left to do)

Mon, Aug 25: Murren to Lucerne train (2.5 hours travel time)

Tu, Aug 26: Lucerne

Wed, Aug 27: Lucerne

Th, Aug 28: Lucerne to Lugano am train (2.5 hours travel time)

Fri, Aug 29: Lugano

Sat, Aug 30: Lugano (pm: 3 hrs travel time; stn in Zurich near airport)

Sun, Aug 31: leave Switzerland

Thank you for your help ahead of time!

Edited: 6:10 pm, February 21, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Canton of Bern
Canton of Bern
Switzerland
Vevey
Vevey
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Hotel Lavaux
Hotel Lavaux
280 Reviews
Cully, Switzerland
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Hotel Oberland
Hotel Oberland
432 Reviews
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Bernese Oberland
Bernese Oberland
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Gimmelwald
Gimmelwald
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,788 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Schynige Platte
Schynige Platte
270 Reviews
Murren
Murren
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Lugano
Lugano
Canton of Ticino, Switzerland
canada
Level Contributor
8,074 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

Hi emis100, your plan is fine, you know what you want.

Just one word of caution, check the train travel time again, read the routing. Sbb usually give you the fast route, which may not be scenic. You must enter [via] to demand your choice of routing, which may take much longer.

For example, from Lucerne to Lugano, you can take the ferry on Lake Lucerne as the first part of journey (the whole route is called the William Express, with a meal on the steamer). And for Murren to Lucerne, specify via [Brunig-Hasliberg] so as to cover this part of Golden Pass route.

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Murren
Murren
Hasliberg
Hasliberg
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,958 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

Hi emis100

I agree with bofroster. Please watch the spelling of Montreux (you would not find it on www.sbb.ch/en possibly otherwise).

For your time at Lucerne look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) which give you a lot of information about Lucerne. For boats on lake Lucerne look at www.lakelucerne.ch (the Wilhelm Tell express goes to Flueelen).

Have a great trip

pore

Mentioned in this post
Montreux
Montreux
Lucerne
Lucerne
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
489 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

Thank you so much for the route suggestions. Very helpful. So I am guessing you are saying to not miss the scenic routes as that is much better than getting to the destination quicker to spend more time there? Also, is it correct that I probably need the 22 day Swiss Pass to cover my travels vs the 15 day one and versus just paying for the trips separately or with the Half Card even. ?? I need it to cover all the little day trips I do each day, as well, so that is a lot to have to tally for all of those to compare it. I'm not asking anyone else to do that for me, but was just wondering if you could tell I would probably need it or not by just glancing at where all I am going. Thank you!

canada
Level Contributor
8,074 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

The big advantage of a Swiss Pass is that I don't need to care about planning. I can leave the decision to the last (or beyond last) minute, and change my mind half way. With a Half Fare Card, you always have a discount. If you don't have a detail itinerary, that may still be the cheapest way for 22 days. But then you must buy the discounted ticket on every trip. I have a little back problem, I don't want to stoop towards the ticket machine so often, so I usually buy a Swiss Pass to save my back, and to provide a consolation prize for rainy days (as museum pass), even f it may cost 20Franc more.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
489 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

Thank you!!! Extremely helpful, as well. Off the top of anyone's head, in just looking at the towns on my itinerary, are there any supplemental routes I will pay for on top of the Swiss pass (where I get the extra % off)? I know I have to pay extra for jungfrau, Schilthorn Golden trip, William Tell route, and Goldenpass from Interlaken to Lucerne, but can you think of any other ones that standout as supplemental fares in each of the names towns? Trying to get a grasp of the cash outlay I will have. Appears it will be one of my overall pricier trips of all my travels. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, though. Thanks again for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,788 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Lucerne
Lucerne
Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

The Swiss Pass gives a 50% discount on most mountain transport - the same as the Half Fare Card. Two exceptions are Mt Rigi, which is fully covered by the Swiss Pass, and Jungfraujoch where the discount is only 25% above Wengen/Grindelwald. This would mean a trip from Mürren to Jungfraujoch would cost 32 CHF more with the SP than the HFC. You do not have to pay extra with the SP on the train from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne.

Mentioned in this post
Mt. Rigi
Mt. Rigi
1,896 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,462 Reviews
Wengen
Wengen
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Interlaken
Interlaken
Lucerne
Lucerne
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

You could price up your last 2 days of trips and add it on to the 15 day pass and see if it is less than buying a 22 day pass if you see what I mean

Your Swiss Pass covers the trip from Interlaken to Luzern. all the trains on the route cover the sam tracks just gt the timing that suits you best.

You can also do the Wilhelm Tell route yourself using your Swiss Pass you just sit in 2nd class nd don't get a meal. No need to buy an extra ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
329 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

On the 16th I'd suggest going to Vevey in the morning. The summer folklorique market in the market square by the lake is ace. It runs until lunchtime. There's winetasting, music, lovely produce (especially mushrooms and soft fruits) and a nice cheery atmosphere. If you just want a basic look at the vineyards you can walk ten minutes to the Vevey funicular, which takes you on a ten minute journey through the terraces above Vevey to the fin station and viewing point at Mont Pelerin. If you have stamina, you can continue on up on foot to the transmitter tower with its glass lift. Great views from the top. Then head back down and catch the ferry to Chateau de Chillon, or, if time is tight, the bus to Chillon starts a minute's walk from the base of the funicular.

Mentioned in this post
Vevey
Vevey
Chateau de Chillon
Chateau de Chillon
3,444 Reviews
Veytaux, Switzerland
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
489 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

Oh how I love these suggestions!! Really! Thank you so much! I will be doing exactly as you describe! I truly cannot wait ...6 months to go. Patience will be tough!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
489 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Asking for quick itinerary critique, please & thank you :)

NorthWestLondoner, could I do the Vevey market on Sunday, too? I was wondering if I should switch out my Sat and Sun and stay more local on Sunday since catching a pm train to Zermatt on Sunday? If not, shouldn't be a problem. I would like to do that market though! Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Vevey
Vevey
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland