We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Completion Help - 5 days

S K
London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Completion Help - 5 days

Hello Everyone

I am planning to travel to Swiss for 5 days(4 nights) and would like to take your help in completing my itinerary. After going through this forum, I gathered lots of information about Swiss but I would still need your help as I will be travelling with my 3yrs old son and my in-laws. We are planning to travel in May. So if you could guide me any seasonal attractions, I would be very grateful.

So far we have this in our mind.

DAY 1

Flight to Geneva reaching around 10.30 AM. We haven't planned anything in Geneva but planning to go to 'someplace' in Lake Geneva area where we would like to have our first night stay.

DAY 2 - 4

We are planning to take Golden Pass line to Interlaken from Montreux and stay in Interlaken for the next 3 nights from where we would like to do day trips.

DAY 5

Take a train to Zurich and fly home. Our return flight is late evening.

Am I over simplifying the journey? With a toddler and my in-laws, can I plan for more, like visiting another place on day 4? For Day 1, would you suggest any good place on the shores of Geneva river? I understand that I do not have a whole day for a day trip but is there a good place where we can go and throw our luggage and rest in an apartment and have some fun in and around that area on the same day? Tried to find an apartment in various places around the lake Geneva area but so far I couldn't find an apartment for a single night. Currently we are thinking of a B&B or a hotel for this day's stay! I want to stay in a typical Swiss place where we can enjoy the surroundings.

For Day 2-4: I found the below listed nice places to visit from Interlaken. I would love to hear your views on this with my situation?

1) Harder Kulm Mountains - this seems to provide THE best views of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. 8 mins cable car drive from Interlaken.

2) Heimwehfluh - I am. It sure about this as this is a vintage theme park! My son would love it definitely, but is it worth spending time here?

3) Grindelwald - read something about beautiful glacier gorges in Rosenlaui but I haven't checked on travel route yet!

4) Glacier Tour - around Bernese Oberland. Can we combine this item with above Rosenlaui?

5) Männlichen's breathtaking views

6) Trümmelbach Waterfalls

7) Jungfrau visit

Although I gathered above seven possible places for my 3 days, I would like to take your help in trimming this list (if required) to a manageable/enjoyable list? Is there anything else in Interlaken area that I should visit and is not in my list? Do you suggest taking a night stay in a different place on Day 3 or Day 4 in a place like Grindelwald? My in-laws cannot have pork or bacon so I have to plan my night stays in those places where we can find a decent restaurant or preferably a self-catered apartment where we can buy our groceries and cook?

Before we started to plan this itinerary we went through the list of all panoramic train journeys and chose Golden Pass as it crosses Interlaken where we want to visit Jungfrau mountain.

Looking forwards to your expert opinions.

Many thanks in advance

SK

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Completion Help - 5 days

With just 5 days and travelling with a little one, you are wise to keep the number of bases to a minimum. I would suggest heading from Geneva airport straight to Vevey or Montreux at the other end of the lake. Geneva is nice, but I find Vevey (in particular) to be slightly more family friendly. It's smaller and easier to get around. There are also plenty of child friendly activities. As it's just minutes by train to Montreux, you'll also then be in the right end of the lake to start your trip to Interlaken.

Interlaken has its advantages, but many people prefer the pretty car free villages in the mountains above it (Wengen or Muerren are nice options). However, May can be rather muddy in the mountains, so in many ways, staying in Interlaken is a sensible option at that time of year. I'm not great at this region, so we'll see what others have to say about your wish list.

S K
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Completion Help - 5 days

Hey - thanks for your reply. We tried our accommodation in Montreux but I couldn't find any activities in that area, I think. I will search Vevey now as it sounds like a sensible option to me (being close to the second leg of my journey).

Thanks

SK

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Completion Help - 5 days

Also consider Territet and Villeneuve, which are close by Montreux.

S K
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Completion Help - 5 days

Another two new names to me :) Thanks for the tip.

S K
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Completion Help - 5 days

Does anybody else have any suggestions for me ?

Thanks

SK

6. Re: Itinerary Completion Help - 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, February 12, 2015