We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more train ticketing confusion!

BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
more train ticketing confusion!

If I purchase our tickets on SBB (Paris to Basel - March 30) and have to pickup the tickets at an SBB office - can I do that in Paris Est station? It's not giving me a print at home option. SBB is the only website between Rail Europe, Captaine Train etc that shows the exact connection we want (the 8:25am departure). Just nervous about hitting that purchase button!

Also, my husband is going to continue on later that same evening to Zurich from Basel. Is that a ticket he can buy at the station that night with no problem?

I'm American btw. Thanks!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,914 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

Have you tried buying the tickets on www.tgv.com ? I do not think the SBB site can offer you a print at home option for a TGV ticket.

As for your husband - No problem. All he needs to do is to go to any ticket machine in the main hall at the Basel SBB station and buy a ticket. The machines "speak" English and take credit cards.

BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

Hambagahle, when I try TGV.com, I'm forwarded to Rail Europe. Which isn't showing the connection I want, btw! Should I wait until that morning and buy at the station? That makes me nervous for several reasons!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

Normally you would buy this from the French railways site voyages.snfc.com/en. Once you select your departure and destination cities (Paris and Basel) un-check the "direct journey only" box and your train will show up. Seems you have a change of trains at Strasbourg. Use "Antarctica" as your ticket collection country to avoid being redirected to Rail Europe. And you can now print your tickets at home.

You can also book this at www.capitainetrain.com - this links into the SNFC system - and print at home without having to worry about tricking the system into thinking you live at the south pole.

The reason you couldn't see your train on these sites is purely and simply that "direct journey only" box that is selected by default.

Edited: 9:59 pm, February 04, 2014
BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

Awesome help!! Thank you!!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,914 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

Very creative, too! All US customers seem to be re-directed to Rail Europe! Antartica begins with a A too! Like Atlanta...

BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

So couple of stumbling/ blocks questions: only SBB is showing the trains I want . 8:25am thru Strasbourg into Basel 12:09. All others show only a 7:25am departure so is it possible that 8 minutes is too tight a connection in Strasbourg to Basel? Also, is there a difference between Basel SBB and Basel Gleise 30-35? Especially if we're grabbing a taxi to the dock. Thx.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,914 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

From Paris to Basel on the TGV takes 3hrs - you are listing a connection in Strasbourg that takes almost 4hrs. The TGV Paris Gare de Lyon to Basel SBB doesn't go via Strasbourg... Here is a link to the TGV Lyria timetable for the date in question showing the times:

tgv-lyria.com/main/FCK/File/site_fr/Pdf/hora…

If you are taking a cruise chances are it won't sail till late afternoon so you have plenty of time to take the 10h23 train from Paris to Basel SBB which gets to Basel at 13h26.

the "Basel Gleise 30-35" is where the local trains from Strasbourg arrive at Basel SBB station. You can find a map of the station on the SBB site. (And if you click on "en" at the top it will be in English).

And I don't blame you for being confused. I checked the SBB site myself and could not see the TGV direct trains at all. They are operated by "TGV Lyria" which is a Franco-Swiss joint venture and this is why it is easier to use that site... I would not connect via Strasbourg if I were you because while the TGVs are almost always on time the local French trains can be late. And if you had to wait in Strasbourg for a couple of hours you might miss the start of your cruise.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

Back in January the question of TGV trains on 30 March from Paris to Basel was raised and it appeared that there was work on the line as there were no direct trains Gare du Lyon to Basel until the late afternoon service. I found them again by googling but have no idea how to do a link. It seems that you have to go via Strasbourg that day. I would post your question on the train forum and someone there might be able to help with the ticket buying question.

I've just had another look and it was to your post on 4 January 2014 that information was given about the available trains that day. Tickets would have been cheaper then!

Edited: 3:06 pm, February 05, 2014
BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

Marmot, that was me a month ago. I'm still messing with this and was hoping there would be a correction and that the Lyria would show up on the schedule! But alas, I must do a connection. The whole reason we chose Paris for our pre-cruise was that it was only a quick 3 hr train ride to Basel. Now I'm wondering If we need to fly from Paris to Basel and that is such a PITA (pain in the ...)! Our ship does not depart until mid-night on Sunday but we can board at 3pm. I don't want to spend 6 hours bobbing around on trains though. What is the " train forum" you mention? I'm worried by Hambagahle's comment about being stuck in Strasbourg. Ideas anyone???? Is there a better place on the schedule to connect through than Strasbourg? Arghh. Thanks to all for your help.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more train ticketing confusion!

I have just repeated my search on the voyages-snfc site for 30 March.

With a start time of 07am I can see trains leaving Paris at 07:25, 08:02. 08:25, 08:53, 08:57; 11:25, 13:55, and 15:25. I stopped looking after that.

So your train is there. I'm not sure why I can see it but you can't. Have you tried the capitaine train link that I gave in post 3?