We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland in 9 days in March

America
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland in 9 days in March

I will be traveling with my daughter mid-March. We will take the train from Salzburg (my daughter is studying there for the semester) to Zurich and I will fly home from Geneva. Would it be best to make a few cities our base and take day trips from there to be able to see as much as possible? Which cities would be best? How many days in each city? We plan to travel via train throughout the country.

I would like to book our hotels as soon as possible.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,007 reviews
from $168.80*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,187 reviews
from $160.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
347 reviews
from $243.10*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
650 reviews
from $105.10*
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,261 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland in 9 days in March

Welcome to TA!

I would suggest going from Zürich right away to Luzern. Only another hour and you could base yourselves there for a few days. Lots to see and do in town and around the lake and in the nearby mountains. The scenery is lovely. you can visit the old town, the Transport Museum (fascinating!) and take a lake cruise. Make a day trip to Bern, which is "drop dead gorgeous" and then, when you are ready to move on, take the train on the Goldenpass line to Montreux.

Make Montreux - also on a lake but unlike Luzern French speaking and Suisse Romande culture. From there see the old town in Vevey, take a lake cruise on the Léman (go over to St gingolph and walk into France for lunch. Take a day trip to Gruyères to visit the medieval village and the Cheese Factory and maybe also on to the Maison Cailler at Broc.

From Montreux you are just over an hour from the Geneva airport.

For all train info - www.sbb.ch/en

For hotels - use the local tourist office site search engine

www.luzern.ch

www.vevey-montreux.ch

and for general ideas

www.myswitzerland.com

America
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland in 9 days in March

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Would it be worthwhile to travel from Luzern to Zermatt for a night before heading to Montreux?

Edited: 1:27 pm, January 25, 2014
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,261 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland in 9 days in March

It is a bit dodgy going to anywhere in the mountains for only a night. Mountain weather can produce low clouds and you will find yourself either in the clouds or with no views of the surrounding peaks. Give yourself 2 nights and you increase your chances of the views. (Though by no means guaranteed...)

If on the other hand you plan a mountain excursion for a specific day on your trip you can check the weather at your destination before going up there. If it isn't all that good you don't have to go.

America
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland in 9 days in March

This is my tentative itinerary:

Luzern (3 days), Lauterbrunnen (2 days), Montreux (3 days), Geneva (1 day- we have an early flight so I think its best to stay there the night before). We'd like to plan a day trip to Bern from Luzern as well. What are your thoughts? Is this doable and will we get the best "feel" for Switzerland?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,261 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland in 9 days in March

This will work perfectly. Not too rushed. Easy to get to Bern from Luzern. And good planning to spend the last night in Geneva.

As for "feel" - you are combining the German speaking and French speaking parts. Two lakeside towns. A mountain resort (well, sort of! Lauterbrunnen is too small really to call as resort!) And two cities - Bern and Geneva. Looks great to me!

6. Re: Switzerland in 9 days in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 31, 2015