We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter gear - for travel in March

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
336 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Winter gear - for travel in March

We are travelling for the first time to Switzerland in first half of March 2014. Coming from a tropical environment, not used to low temperatures. Specifically, want to know if we need to have snow shoes? If yes, what is the likely cost of buying on arrival in Zurich/Lucerne?

We will not be skiing or adventure activities and plan to spend time in cities/villages.

Thanks for your help

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter gear - for travel in March

Hard to know the weather…. But March, in Zurich/Lucerne? You should be OK with regular shoes/trainers etc. There is highly unlikely to be snow or ice in those areas. Shoes will be very expensive to buy in Switzerland. If it were me, I would risk 'normal' footwear. But beware - it can be wet at any time. So always good to have something reasonably waterproof. But you don't need 'snow shoes' (which by the way is a term for 'tennis rackets' on your feet - definitely not what you need unless you're hiking at 2500m!)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter gear - for travel in March

A cheap option to keep your feet warmer are inlay soles, which can be bough for little money from any shoe shop or department store. Get a pair in your size after your arrival in Switzerland. These are loose soles that go into your shoes underneath your feet to insulate against the cold from the ground. They do make a lot of difference! I prefer the thin woollen ones with a layer of aluminium at the bottom.

Another option at little cost is a spray which is applied to your shoes to make them water-resistant. You can buy this from any shoe shop or department store as well. (Apply it outdoors or at least out of the window, not inside your hotel room because of the smell.)

I'd recommend both!

3. Re: Winter gear - for travel in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, January 25, 2015