We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for ~4 days in Jan, from Konstanz to Geneva

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for ~4 days in Jan, from Konstanz to Geneva

I will be traveling with a family of 4 through Switzerland over 4 days/3 nights. We are coming from Germany and plan to drop off a rental car in Konstanz, Germany and aim to be in Geneva 3 days later to make a train to Paris (evening train). We would like to see as much scenary/get a feel of Switzerland as possible in our short-time there. Hopefully at least go up one mountain but otherwise just visit small villages.

On our first day, I was thinking of using the car to drive to Appenzell before going to Konstanz. From there, we will take a train to Lucerne to stay overnight. From here, we are pretty flexible and I would like some ideas. I heard Montreux is a nice place to visit (with also milder weather), so I was thinking of staying there on our last night before catching a train to Geneva the last day. Any suggestions on where to stay for our second night? Maybe Interlaken?

Also, any suggestions on trains? I've been looking up trains online and it seems to depend on whether we want the quickest path from Lucern to Montreux or take a longer (possibly more scenic) route that would be similar to the Golden Pass line. We are open to any suggestions--just want to have a nice 4 days in Switzerland without too much rushing! Thank you!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,614 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for ~4 days in Jan, from Konstanz to Geneva

I wouldn't bother with Appenzell - IMO not worth the hassle. Luzern, on the other hand is wonderful and since your time is really limited, I suggest you consider two nights in Luzern, two in Montreux. And you can take a TGV to Paris from Lausanne as well as from Geneva. Lausanne/Paris takes longer than Geneva/Paris (not so much high speed line on the Lausanne route) but it takes only 20mins to get to Lausanne from Montreux so you save time that way (Geneva is just over an hour away).

Drop your car, come into Switzerland from Konstanz and take the train to Luzern. Luzern is a beautiful lakeside town, lots to see and do including the wonderful Transport Museum. Lake cruises are available even in January and you can take a boat over to Vitznau and then go up Rigi and back to Luzern in an easy day.

Then Golden Pass train Luzern to Montreux. Some lovely scenery en route. From Montreux you can visit the lovely old town in Vevey, make a day trip to Gruyères if you like. On a clear day the Rochers de Naye above Montreux makes a great viewing point for the entire lake and across to the French and the Valais alps.

If you stop in Interlaken you will be dissapointed. It is a real tourist trap. And since you don't want to rush about spending two nights in one place and two in another will help make the trip less frenetic.

For all train info see www.sbb.ch/en

For Hotel info - search engine etc - see the tourist office sites for Luzern and for Montreux.

Hope this helps your planning!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for ~4 days in Jan, from Konstanz to Geneva

Thank you for your ideas! Can I ask why you think Appenzell is not worth the hassle? If that is the case, I may decide to spend a bit more time in Germany before dropping the car off in Konstanz, any suggestions on German towns near the Swiss border that may be worth visiting for a few hours?

We would like to visit Mt. Pilatus from Lucerne, what is the weather like in January so that we can see things on top? Would Mt. Rigi be an easier and/or cost effective alternative?

Also, I have been looking at SBB and saw that there are supersaver tickets available with up to 50% off but we have to plan and know the exact train we will be taking, so this may be another "inflexible" part of our itinerary. I was trying to find a train that goes on the goldenpass route but I don't think I ever found it (the goldenpass website does not work). Thanks!

3. Re: Ideas for ~4 days in Jan, from Konstanz to Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 26, 2014