We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice : Travelling to Austria & Switzerland in Dec

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need advice : Travelling to Austria & Switzerland in Dec

Hi all,

I'm Adam from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I'm planning to holiday in Austria & Switzerland this December.

There are 3 of us in this trip (=3 male adults).

Below is our plan :

23 December 2013 : Arrived Vienna Airport

24 Dec : rest

25 Dec : Go to Hallstatt (Austria)

27 Dec : Go to Lucerne (Switzerland)

29 Dec : Go to Interlaken (Switzerland)

1 Jan : Go to Innsbruck (Austria)

3 Jan : Back to Vienna

4 Jan : rest

5 Jan : Depart to Kuala Lumpur

Questions :

1) Is train the best mode of transportation? Should we buy train ticket at the train station? or, should we buy railpass? Which is more flexible? which is more economical?

2) We just want to enjoy scenery (during journey, or, at destination). Is the itinerary above too rushed? Any better suggestions (whether we should add/subtract anything)?

3) We prefer to stay in budget B&B, or, rooms. Given Christmas & New Year holiday, is it advisable to book accomodation early in advance?

Thanks in advance.

BR,

Adam

Email : andee@nd-dzul.com

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice : Travelling to Austria & Switzerland in Dec

Hi Adam. Are you talking about Xmas 2013??? (in 20days?) ...or Xmas 2014?

Your itinerary - in terms of travel time - looks fine, although you are covering many kms you are giving each place at least one day and multiple nights...

To answer your questions:

1. Yes - train is the best way to travel, it is the most convenient, and you will see the lovely landscape along this route. ...as for what is most economical - you will have to look up the price of tickets at both SBB.CH and OBB.AT and then compare the sum total with the cost of passes... the fact that you are travelling in 2 countries in this time complicates the accounting a bit.

2. No - your timing seems OK to me. You will spend quite a bit of time on the train, ...but in winter this is often the best way to see the countryside. Clearly Interlaken should not be the target destination - instead choose nearby Grindelwald/Murren/Lauterbrunnen - if possible (see next point!).

3. YOU NEED TO RESERVE IMMEDIATELY! (especially if you plan to be in the mountains over New Years!)... This may be the most difficult part of your situation. Over the Xmas and NewYears dates many hotels require visitors to stay for a minimum of 2 or 3 nights, and many hotels are booked out months in advance... so if you do not have a hotel reservation yet then you need to do this first... and plan your travel accordingly. You will find very quickly that there are no "deals" for accommodation over the holidays and that hotels can be VERY expensive. (just a fair warning!).

One final note... do not include your e-mail address in your TA forum posts... it will only ensure that you get lots of unwanted spam.

Good luck.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice : Travelling to Austria & Switzerland in Dec

I can only underline what Canswiss says in his point 3 -- I read last week in our local paper that bookings this year are very very heavy in all the resorts over Christmas. And many hotels expect people to stay for a week, at least, at that time.

If you cannot get a room in a mountain resort then look at hotels in nearby towns in the valley or near a lake. You should not have a problem getting a room in Luzern. And I would suggest staying in Spiez rather than Interlaken.

I would reserve my seats on the International train Innsbruck to Luzern (well, up to Zürich anyway) now. Once you are here in Switzerland you do not need seat reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
3. Re: Need advice : Travelling to Austria & Switzerland in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 07, 2014