We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort/Hotel recommendation

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Resort/Hotel recommendation

Hi,

Looking to make a week-long trip to Switzerland at the end of May with wife + 2 kids (aged 8 and 6).

Likely to be flying into Geneva.

In an ideal world we would like to be located in a hotel which offers a good value half-board option and is well located for easy access to scenic walks and rail journeys.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,352 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort/Hotel recommendation

End of May is not a great time for the mountains but IS super around the lakes. So choose a lakeside resort. Even coming into Geneva you can get to the German speaking part of the country quite easily... so do you want to be in a French or a German speaking environment? remember this also has an effect on the food!

For some in Romandie (French speaking Switzerland) - look at Vevey, Montreux or a smaller place like la Tour de Peilz. Advantage to the eastern end of the Léman (Geneva) is that it has a micro climate and is likely to be warmer and dryer than the western part around Geneva. there is excellent walking above this area around les Avants and the Pléiades and at the end of May the wild narcissi should be in bloom in the fields up there. Lots of activities for children too. And your Vevey-Montreux hotel will provide a free Riviera Card which allows you free use of local public transport. See www.montreux-vevey.com

For German speaking Switzerland you might think about somewhere around the lakes of Thun or Brienz (but not Interlaken!). there you have the lake, the Open Air Museum at Ballenberg, and day trips which could include Bern, Luzern and the Jungfrau region.

For train travel, passes etc - www.sbb.ch/en And with a Swiss pass your children will travel free on the Family card that comes with it.

Does this give you a start?

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort/Hotel recommendation

Great info, thanks. I don't suppose it matters whether we are in French or German speaking Switzerland as we speak neither!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,352 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort/Hotel recommendation

Being from the French speaking part of the Valais I rather think it does make a difference! But a postive one from my viewpoint, whichever you choose. One of the great riches of this country is the "linguistic and cultural" scene... I love living in Romandie. But I equally well love visiting "la Suisse alémanique" and the fact that one can move from one language and culture to another by simply driving or getting on train for 30mins is quite amazing.

In your case you could try both - 3-4 days around the Léman and 3-4 around either the Thunersee or the Brienzersee. That would be a great combination.

4. Re: Resort/Hotel recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 08, 2014