We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in July with 6 month old baby

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel in July with 6 month old baby

Hi,

My husband and I are traveling from Italy (wedding in Tuscany) to Switzerland with a 6-month old baby end of June/beginning of July. We have 7-9 days to travel and wondering what we should see and how:) We were thinking we'd like to see northern lakes of Italy and Locarno/Lugarno first then travel to Interlaken, Montreux (jazz festival) and then Geneva. We are pretty active (enjoy hiking) and enjoy good food and wine:) What would be a good base? Does it make sense to rent a car or do trains?

Thanks!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,189 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in July with 6 month old baby

7 to 9 days is not a lot for all the places on your list and travelling with a baby slows you down. In fact, since the baby in question will be 6 months in July I have to assume s/he isn't quite born! And you need to know that a baby slows you down even if you don't travel!!!

Second - it is not at all recommended to take children under 24months of age up to altitudes above 2000m. So you need to pay attention to this whenever you are in the mountains. And since you mention Interlaken (which BTW is an awful place - "souvenir shop" heaven in fact) you are most probably thinking of the Bernese Oberland where many mountains are above 2000m.

In a week or 9 days I would restrict myself to two or at the most three bases if I were you. Two is better than three. How about staying in Lugano and travelling around that area on a day trip basis and then going on to Montreux and staying there before ending in Geneva? Only real problem with Montreux is, if the Jazz Festival is on it is hard to get hotel rooms, very very noisy and busy and not at all the kind of place to be with a baby!! I haven't looked at the dates for 2014 but it is something to check and if it is on you might well want to stay in nearby Vevey instead.

Finally - trains are generally much easier than renting a car and driving. That said, with all the things you have to lug around for a baby a car might be easier. But drop charges between countries are horrendous (€800 between Italy and switzerland for example). So maybe think about coming into Switzerland on the train and then renting the car if that is what you plan to do. For trains use the SBB site - www.sbb.ch/en

2. Re: Travel in July with 6 month old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 03, 2014