We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Switzerland

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
629 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Switzerland

We will arrive by plane in Geneva (from Nice) around 9.30 on a Sunday morning and leave Zurich late morning the following Friday.

As we are travelling with a 3 year old we do not want to stay somewhere different each night, so planned to based ourselves in Geneva for 2 nights and Zurich for 3 nights.

Its a short time I know, but will be our first taste of Switzerland.

I had considered that we would have:

Sunday: to look around Geneva

Monday: a possible day trip out of Geneva (Lausanne/Montreux/Bern?)

Tuesday: travel to Zurich early and look around

Wednesday: Rhine Falls and Lichtenstein (both in a day?)

Thursday: Luzern

Friday: international flight leaves at 11.20am

Is tis too much? Should we base ourselves elsewhere? Am I missing any places that should be considered?

Travelling mid May 2014

Thanks for your assistance!

canada
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Switzerland

First choice: 5 days in Bern.

Second choice: all in Lucerne.

Third choice: 2 in Montreux and 3 in Lucerne.

Is Lichtenstein a must? I would rather skip it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
629 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Switzerland

Thanks for the suggestions bofoster.

Are these based mainly on geography and our timeframe, and the ability to make day trips as required?

My wife wants Lichtenstein for some reason… therefore Im not sure if Im allowed to skip it! :-)

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,421 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Switzerland

Hi jeffyg

I would Support the Option Montreux/Lucerne as both cities are only one train hour from the relative airports and more attractive and more central than Geneva or Zurich. Liechtenstein is far from everywhere I do not think you will have enough time to visit.

For activities etc. look at www.montreux-vevey.com and the Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum) and www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

Happy planning

pore

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Switzerland

I also recommend Montreux and Luzern. Both have direct trains to the respective airports and are better tastes of Switzerland. Unless your wife knows why she wants to go to Lichtenstein, you will use 20% of your time going to a rather ordinary tax haven.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
629 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Switzerland

Thankyou all for the recommendations.

As these are smaller cities (towns?) is there still good range of things to do when we return in the evenings? Ie dining options etc?

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Switzerland

If you type "Luzern" or "Montreux" in TA, you will see the dining options. 244 in Luzern just covering the ones reviewed on TA…. Should be enough!

7. Re: 5 nights in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 03, 2014