We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Florence to Interlaken or Lucerne

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Florence to Interlaken or Lucerne

Hi,

I am planning a trip with my family (my husband, his parents and my parents) to Italy and Switzerland in April 2014. Florence would be our last stop in Italy and we need to go to Switzerland from there. As of now, I have been looking at train options, but, Florence to Interlaken is a 3-change trip and Florence to Lucerne is 2 change. Given the fact that we will have parents with us ans some amount of heavy luggage I am not sure how we will manage this 3 or 2 changes of trains. Is there any other convenient and not so expensive way of travel? Should we go to Interlaken to Lucerne? Flights are ruled out.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,686 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Florence to Interlaken or Lucerne

No point in looking for flights because there are none...

The only way to go is by train. You have a change at Milano centrale and then - provided you take a train that is headed for Bern and Basel - one in Spiez. IF the train is going to Geneva you will have to change again in Brig. So it is worth timing it so you take the train bound for Basel.

Once you are finished in the Oberland area (and do not stay in Interlaken if you can avoid it) then continue on to Luzern by train via the Goldenpass line over the Brünig pass which is very pretty. If you want to go straight to Luzern then you need to take another route:

Florence to Milano Centrale

Milano Centrale to Arth Goldau

Arth Goldau to Luzern

The change at Arth is really easy - you just walk across the platform. And there are two trains a day that go from Milano Centrale to Luzern without change... you would have to plan this carefully though in terms of time you arrive in Milan and when you plan to leave. Allow at least one hour at Milan to change trains as trains are sometimes late (though the FrecchiaRossa trains usually are not) and it is a large station.

2. Re: Travelling from Florence to Interlaken or Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:19 am, November 14, 2013
Edited: 8:19 am, November 14, 2013
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Florence to Interlaken or Lucerne

Thanks so much. I will plan to stay in Lucerne and take your advice regarding train change

Edited: 2:46 pm, November 15, 2013
4. Re: Travelling from Florence to Interlaken or Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 17, 2014