We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

HK
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

I am traveling with two big baggages and with my dad. I am planning to take the train from bern or Lucerne to Paris fare de Lyon.

Will it be a big hassle for me when doing one transfer at the platform from Basel to Paris?

I remember there is few types new trains at Swiss doesn't require me to do big a lift up for my baggages to the trains.

Does TGV provide extend doorway for travelers with baggage.

What type of the new trains at Swiss i should look for if I travel with baggages.

Many thanks!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

On the TGV aside from getting on and off you have another baggage issue which is that if you have a heavy suitcase you might not have the muscle power to hoist it into the overhead rack and you have to store it in the smaller racks at the end of the car. So get there early to be sure your suitcases get the space...

There are TGVs that are two deckers and again getting bags to the top deck can pose a problem. TGVs running from Lausanne to Paris are only one deck... I am not sure about the ones from Basel. But I do know that the TGVs from Basel run put of the same part of the station as the inbound trains from Bern or Luzern.. So there all you have to do is get off one train, maybe take the escalator up then down and get on the TGV.

HK
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

Many thanks for your advice. I know sbb train do provide service to send the baggages to France and Germany. I am thinking to send it to my hotel at paris. It will take five days, is it safe? will it arrive on time because I only stay at Paris for one night.

If this service reliable, I may send the baggages more than five days ahead,

Can I buy the Train ticket from Basel to Paris at any of train station at Switzerland?

My last stop at Lucerne to Basel is covered in my Swiss flex pass.

Million thanks for your help.!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

I would never send my luggage from Switzerland to France. I do not find the French railways reliable. Take it with you.

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
425 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

Hi there,

you only need to buy a ticket from Basel to Paris when using a Swiss pass. You can buy the tickets at any staffed station in Switzerland, you will probably have to wait for a while though. Have you considered a "print at home" ticket ? easily done and better advance fares.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

Book Basel to Paris in advance at www.sbb.ch - from €25 booked well in advance, more like €100 if you buy on the day.

Changing trains is easy, you just pick up your bags, walk off the train, walk to the next train and get on. Place bags on any suitable rack, above your head, at the car end, or between the seats.

HK
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

Many thanks for all your help. Unforunately, I send out the baggage this morning to paris and have a unpleasant experience at lutterbunnen train station.

I was just asking the staff at service counter if any number or track number I can track my baggage.

He answered "no, I don't know." And just now, I asked another staff. She said she has no idea.

now, I am really worry about my baggage. I have to leave from Paris to Hong Kong on oct 1. The latest I will receive my baggage is oct 1 because it is send in between weekend.

Is any way I can speak to somebody at cff and speed up the process.

This staff helped me send baggage not even explain to me how much it cost more if my baggage exceed 23kg.

Thanks God!! I have great full day at jungfrau.

Please help if you know any way I can speed up my fly baggage up issue.

Many thanks!!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

"Fly baggage " is a Swiss thing. To a Swiss airport. You sent your bag to Paris... I doubt the SBB can track it...

Hopefully it will be there next Tuesday.

HK
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

Sorry i may mix up the name. i just send the baggages to paris thru train station this morning. My baggage claim stated it will take 3-5 working days. The latest will be on next Monday Oct 1.

should I rely on it? Shall I start thinking change my flight to Hong Kong?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

I just checked this out this morning here in the Engadine...since I was worried about your baggage!,

The reply was that it will work... Perhaps you could let us all know when you get the bags and how long it took? But the people I spoke I with about it did not know how to check where the bags are on their journey ... Just that they do it for their clients and have not had a problem.

10. Re: Question about train from bern/Lucerne to Paris.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 28, 2014