We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne Lake Cruise

New Delhi
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Lucerne Lake Cruise

Hello Fellow Travelers and Experts,

I will be in Lucerne with my wife in the first week of September and need some advice on the Lake Cruises.

I went through the http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en.html website and realized that there several cruises options. There are a bunch of Classic Cruises (e.g. best of lake lucerne), Panaroma Yatch etc. With so many options, following questions come to mind:

1). I am a little confused as to which ones are top rated and which one should I go for ?

2). The duration of the cruises also vary e.g. Panaroma Yatch takes an hr. Not sure if this time is sufficient or should we plan for a longer one ?

3). Since we will have a Swiss Pass will we be fully covered, irrespective of the cruise we take ?

Really want this experience to be memorable and we get to see the best scenic views.

Look forward to some great advice.

- Varun

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne Lake Cruise

The website to check is www.lakelucerne.ch it is the site for the main boat operator and if you use this one your Swiss Pass will be valid.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne Lake Cruise

2). The duration of the cruises also vary e.g. Panaroma Yatch takes an hr. Not sure if this time is sufficient or should we plan for a longer one ?

You will hardly get out of urban/suburban Luzern at all in an hour, assuming it's half an hour out and half an hour back.

I think the best cruise is the one from Luzern to Flüelen via Weggis, Brunnen, Rütli and Bauen. It takes about three hours, but you can get the train back from Flüelen to Luzern. The paddle steamers that operate some of the cruises on this route are better than any "panoramic yacht".

It's worth getting off at Rütli to see the place where, so the stpry goes, the country of Switzerland was born. It's an amazingly understated and un-touristy location given its importance in Swiss history.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,510 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne Lake Cruise

Hi Varun B

I agree with neuch, the cruise to Flueelen (and back if you like) is not only the longest one but also the most interesting one. If you start early enough you can make different stops if you like as there is a boat every hour during the day.

Other options are to combine your mountain excursions to Mt. Rigi and/or Mt. Pilatus with cruises from Vitznau or Weggis to Lucerne resp. from Alpnachstad (a different arm of the lake) to Lucerne.

Look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) for more information about these two excursions.

Have a great time

pore

New Delhi
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucerne Lake Cruise

Hi Pore, Neuch

Many thanks for the great ideas. I did manage to find out the "Luzern-Weggis-Vitznau-Beckenried-Brunnen-Flüelen" cruise on lakelucerne.ch/en/…seasonal-timetables.html website. Is this the same cruise you are recommending ? However I am still not clear on the timetable and not sure as to when does the last cruise leave ? The reason this is important to us is that we will reach Lucerne around 2 PM on Saturday and on Sunday we are going to Titlis early in the morning. Hence we wanted to know on which of the two days can we do this cruise ? Could you please advice ?

Regards,

- Varun

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,510 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucerne Lake Cruise

Hi Varun B

Yes, this is the cruise from Lucerne to Flueelen. The last cruise starts in September 3.12 pm (15.12 h) from Lucerne and it is operating daily. You will not be able to hop of the boat en route if you would like to do the whole cruise as it is the last one of the day.

pore

New Delhi
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lucerne Lake Cruise

Hi Pore,

Many thanks for your response. Based on the recommendation, I have planned the following:

1.) I will be reaching Zurich on Saturday from New Delhi and we were planning to spend some time in Zurich and then come to Lucerne around 2 PM and check in. Spend the day locally and enjoy Lucerne.

2). On Sunday, we will be going to Titlis and start early around 8 AM. Return by about 2 PM to Lucerne. Then take the Lucerne to Flueelen cruise which will start at 3.12 pm (15.12 h) and reach Flueelen at 18:03 hrs. Take the train back from Flueelen to Lucerne.

Does this sound like a plan ?

Couple of questions:

1.) Since we will have a Swiss Pass will we be fully covered on the cruise from Lucerne to Flueelen as well as on the train back from Flueelen to Lucerne ?

2). Do we need to pay extra for the upper deck on the cruise and any idea how much that would cost ?

3). Lastly, rough idea of the time it will take on the train back to Lucerne from Flueelen ?

Warm Regards,

- Varun

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,510 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lucerne Lake Cruise

Hi Varun B

It does Sound like a great busy plan. I hope you will not be too tired after the long flight.

1) yes, fully except drinks and meals

2) Yes if you have a second class Swiss Pass, the upper deck is first class. It will cost the difference between a second class and a first class ticket. In fact the views are the same on both classes.

3) see www.sbb.ch/en (it will be +/- 1 h.

Have fun

pore

8. Re: Lucerne Lake Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 14, 2014