We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in switzerland

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
2 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car in switzerland

I am planning to rent a car from one company in switzerland the car is "Alfa Romeo Giulietta".I have 3 kids of age 8/5/3 (years old) can anybody specify me the regulation regarding the kids in switzerland. I mean for my 8 and 5 year do i need to ask the rental company for the child booster seats or is it ok to use the existing seat belts.

For the three years old i have already ordered the child seat.

Thanks

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

Whilst I understand your wish to rent a car do you realise that your children will travel for free if you purchase a half Fare Card or other Swiss Rail Pass. You have to ask for the Family Card for the children. .

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

Assuming your children are under 1.50m in height, they must have a booster seat under swiss law.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

Swisslover is correct...unless you just absolutely MUST have a car the Swiss public transport system is wonderful and you kids travel 100% free everywhere.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,064 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

ALL children under 12, unless they are over 1.50m tall, must be in a child's car seat at all times when driving in this country. And I can tell you from my experience with two grandchildren (4 and 5) in my car I could not possibly fit three car seats on the back seat... An Alfa Giulietta is not going to be large enough and yes, your MUST have the child seats for all three.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

Thanks you very much for all your comments.

Specifically Hambagahle

I read your previous posting also and i found it very helpful.

Now i am very clear, i am not going to rent a car instead use the public transport .

It save money and save u from other hassels.

thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,064 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

No problem! I hope you have a great time here!!

Lausanne
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

Hi Tabish

Could you tell me which rental company had the Alfa Romeo car available? I'd love to rent that model.

Thanks!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,064 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

You will have to find that out yourself I think. Go onto the major rental car companies site and look!!

Lausanne
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

I did already and none of the big ones (Avis, Hertz, Sixt, Europcar) have Alfa Romeo....it's not a popular choice for rental cars typically so I was surprised to hear from the original poster

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car in switzerland

In case you're thinking of renting a car in Switzerland, may I suggest AVOIDING Europcar. 1/2 hr late on return and charged a full day! Also, they charged 450CHF for a 1cm scratch which the drop-off staff told us was too small to even report.