We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best destination with kids in June

chicago
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Best destination with kids in June

Hi. I'm planning on being in Switzerland for about 5 days mid june. Kids are 9 and 12. We are living in Singapore and want to experience the cool climate, beautiful mountain views, and kids' age appropriate outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc.). From there we head to Barcelona.

What are the top 2 destinations? All advice appreciated as I'm very confused with all the reading. Zermatt seems like a logical choice but I'm not convinced I'm right.

Thanks in advance.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,951 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best destination with kids in June

Hi sbedi

With only five days I would stay in one base only and do day excursions from there. One of the most attractive places with kids would be the Lucerne area - see www.luzern.ch and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum). There are many playgrounds around in the area which can be combined with your excursions. Also the Transport Museum - www.verkerhshaus.ch - would be a must do with your kids.

Zermatt is at the end of a long valley. There are great walks you can do and you would be in the high Alps.

There are many more places you could consider but it is impossible to lest them here as there are to many. Look at www.myswitzerland.com for other destinations. It is the homepage of Switzerland tourism.

Happy planning

pore

chicago
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best destination with kids in June

Thanks pore. You mentioned the playgrounds in Lucerne but my kids are 9 and 12. Would you still say Lucerne is a better place? Why? Because its central and I can access more mountaintops? Would I not be just satisfied at Zermatt or do you think we would get bored there after a few days?

Thanks again?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,951 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best destination with kids in June

sbedi, no, I do not say the Lucerne area is better, is completely different and not comparable with for example Zermatt. There is a lot to see and to do here and I think your kids would like the area.

Cycling at Zermatt would be much more difficult than here where you can make great tours (for example around lake Lucerne).

pore

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best destination with kids in June

Yes, playgrounds for kids of 9 and 12. They are still kids, maybe in your environment it's not cool to enjoy playing at this age, but let them have fun on holiday.

Really it's about what their interests are. If they are already too old to play what do they like to do? Do they love to walk, are they happy walking for 4 hours each day - if so Zermatt may well be for you. Do they hate walking - if so Lucerne would be better. Do they love to sit still and listen to music or play games - in which case two centres may be best as they won't be bothered by the time just getting to places. Do they love to explore and see new things, ideas and places, some walking, some shopping, in which case perhaps try Grindelwald? They will probably love the village, big enough to be interesting, small enough to be very different, safe enough to go out on their own. There are so many good trips close to here, they are just the right age to be amazed by a trip up Jungfraujoch, to enjoy cycling alongside the rivers and trains, to be awed by Trummelbach falls and be excited by the cable car (tram) trip up Schilthorn. You can take them to interlaken for McDonalds and a brilliant outdoor swimming pool with high boards to jump from if it's warm enough by them.

Edited: 9:26 am, May 27, 2013
5. Re: Best destination with kids in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 29, 2014