We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Switzerland in October

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Switzerland in October

Hi, I am visiting Switzerland in october and will be there from 28th - 31st October... I would like to capture the most of it within these days of my trip with my friend. We will be staying in Zurich and would like to understand if it is possible to visit places like Jungfraujoch, Mt Titlis, Interlaken and Lucerne and come back to Zurich daily...

Also if I want to take the Glacier Express - how can I take a connect from Zurich?

What would be the best places to visit in these 4 days?

Thanks & Regards

Rohan

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

>We will be staying in Zurich and would like to understand if it is possible to visit places like Jungfraujoch, Mt Titlis, Interlaken and Lucerne and come back to Zurich daily...

No, it is not possible except with Lucerne. You need to base yourself closer to where you actually want to visit.

You do not have any time for the Glacier Express.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

Hi Rohan and welcome on the forum

In four days it is impossible to see Switzerland. You will need to make your choice about what you can see during this short period.

I recommend not to go to more than one base and to use a base which is close to Zurich for this short time. A great place where you could base yourself would be Lucerne - www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) instead of Zurich. You can find the mountain excursions you can do from Lucerne at the Top Questions about Lucerne, too.

If you would like to do the Glacier Express, you would need more time. I would recommend to come for longer time and to organize your vacation around this tourist train.

Jungfraujoch is too far from Lucerne and even farer away from Zurich.

For all information about public transport look at www.sbb.ch/en .

Happy planning

pore

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
143 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

>>What would be the best places to visit in these 4 days?

That's something only you can decide based on your interests, so start by doing a bit of research on www.myswitzerland.ch or go through the Top questions about Switzerland section in the right side of this page, in particular tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188045-i336-k3104… and come back here with specific questions.

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

HI, Thank you so much for the replies, it is really helpful to read - I am browsing on the swizerland websites and I can see that most of the activities are not available during our stay dates (28th Oct - 31st Oct).

Just re-confirming if the Mt. Pilatus rides and Jungfraujoch will still be open during these dates?

Many thanks & regards

Rohan

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

Hi Rohan

Forget about Jungfraujoch from Lucerne or even Zurich (see Top Questions about Lucerne, TA Lucerne forum).

Mt. Pilatus will only be operating from Alpnachstad and back as the gondolas and the cable car will be closed due of maintenance works which need to be done every year.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,435 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

The Glacier Express stops running on 27 October and starts again in mid december.

Coming here at the very end of October is risky from a weather point of view. We are moving into winter. IF at all possible change your trip to be here in early October which is usually a lovely time of year.

It is SO important not to move about a lot when you only have 4 nights. You loose so much time packing and unpacking and would really be better off staying in one central place - and Luzern would be perfect for this - and making day trips. But day trips that take no more than a couple of hours so you can actually see something of the place you are visiting. You can get to Interlaken in two and a bit hours from Luzern. But to add the Jungfraujoch in one day is next to impossible... If you go to Titlis you will be in the snow and at a place with great views...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

We will be arriving in Zurich on 21st of October and will have 7 days to see some of Switzerland. What can you revommend? Is it possible to see Jungfraujoch at that time?

Judy

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

We will be landing in Zurich on 21st of October. Is it possible t visit the Jungfrau region at that time. Is the gondola working then?

Judy

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,435 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

you can visit the Jungfraujoch any time of year and you do not take a "gondola" (which we would call a cable car or télécabine I suppose) to get there. You take a train. train to Interlaken Ost chanege to Lauterbrunnen, change again for Kleine scheidegg and then up. It takes about 90mins from Lauterbrunnen and it is quite expensive!

See www.jungfraubahn.ch for timetables and fares and also www.myjungfrau.com for general info about the area.

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Switzerland in October

Are the Jungfraujoch trains included in the Swiss Pass?