We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Watch Tour?

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Watch Tour?

Going to Switzerland for 5 full days in October, and considering taking a full day tour in Neuchatel watchmaking tour. My husband is a watch lover, and has always wanted to see them made. Has anyone every done this or know anything about this company? On this short trip we are also planning a day on the Glacier Express, so these two activities will take up the bulk of our sightseeing time. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

First - I have never heard of, nor read of, a Watchmaking tour. But if you find one please let us know how it was...

Second - from where and to where do you want to take the GEX? It runs from Zermatt to St Moritz. you can take all or a part of it. If you take it all you normalyl must spend a night in St Moritz OR Zermatt.

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

Thank you for the response. This is the website for the tour http://www.swisswatchtours.com, but the details are vague. It takes place in Neuchatel. We were planning to take the GEX from St. Mortiz and stay overnight in Zermatt. However, as these things go, I am now thinking that with only 5 days perhaps doing the GEX is just too much. The Bernina Express gets great reviews, but it's in a remote location. We have to wind up in Paris at the end of our 5 days, so that figures in too. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

I looked at Swiss Watch Tours site and I think their itinerary and things included are very good. It is a pricey tour, but the hotel they use in Neuchâtel is a 5 star and quite an original one at that...it was created for the 2001 National Exhibition. The only omission I saw in the tour is a visit to the Watch Museum in le Locle which is extremely interesting... and since this is close to La Chaux de Fonds I am surprised they omitted it.

They have an interesting concept and certainly a "niche" market. If they deliver the tour as well as they set it out it should be great.

I agree that going all the way to the Grisons is too far on a 5 day itinerary but you could take part of the GEX - the most scenic part in fact - and still get to Paris:

I assume you will do the Watch Tour OR that you will be in Neuchâtel on your own... then take a train (fastest route is likely to be Neuchâtel/Bern/Visp) to Visp to arrive before 11am. Connect with the GEX as it comes down from Zermatt en route to Brig. Take the GEX to Chur. Get off there and change to a fast train to Zürich. Spend the night in Zürich and go to Paris from there the next day.

On this section of the GEX you see the Vallée de Conches, go over the Oberalp pass and down the Sursilva valley as well as through the Rhine gorges. Great views and well worth it. You could also do the rute in reverse and go on the GEX first, then to Neuchâtel and then on to Paris.

Halifax, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

Hi , just wondering if you did your Swiss Watch Tour? We have one booked with the same people in June and wondering how everything went.

Thank you

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

Cath116, did you book the tour???

Halifax, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

Hello, back from holiday and very much enjoyed our day with Swiss Watch tours. We were picked up promptly, met Mr Slator Hill, our tour was explaned to us and we were off. A driving tour La Chaux de Fonds of to see where all the watch manufacotrs were and sharing of information, a quick drive into Le Locle. Next to the Musee International d'horlogerie for 2 hours, a fantastic must see, a lovely tradation Swiss lunch and the tour of Girard-Perregaux, an all inclusive tour of the factory. We are still basking in the memories of this awesome thrill of seeing the young masters at work.

Thank you Swiss Watch Tours

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

Peggy W - thank you for taking the time to post this mini review. I am sure that others will be interested in taking a similar tour... will make note for my files!

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

Thanks for posting this. We haven't booked our tour yet, and your feedback is very helpful in our decision making.

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

Not yet - but the previous reviewer shared some valuable information.

Edited: 11:19 am, June 30, 2013
Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Watch Tour?

Wanted to let you know that we did take the Swiss Watch Tour with Roy Slater-Hill. It was a terrific day. Mr. Slater-Hill drove us to La Chaux de Fond, and we saw the many watch manufacturers. The tour of the Girard-Perregaux factory was fascinating, and my husband and I both gained a new understanding and appreciation for the artistry of this craft. We had a delightful lunch with Mr. Slater-Hill, and also enjoyed our visit to the Musee International d'Horlogerie. I highly recommend this tour - my husband is the watch enthusiastic, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and finally understand the fascination with timepieces.