We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldenpass line

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Goldenpass line

We plan to take GoldenPass line to travel from (Geneva–) Montreux–Interlaken–Lucerne (–Zurich).

We plan to stay in Lucerne for 2 night and then take the same return ticket route back to Geneva.

What is the best deal to take on to buy GoldenPass line? Should I buy each route separately (departure/return) or is there a day pass that i should buy? We are two adults with 2 kids (12 and 14). When in Lucerne, what are our best choices to stay in hotel? What activities are best to do? We may want to stay and spend few hours in Interlaken or Zweisimmen just to see around on our way back to Geneva. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldenpass line

Hi easy123traveler,

I wouldn't take the Golden Pass route in both directions; taking it in one direction is fine, then take the fast route back to Geneva (via Olten and Lausanne).

There's no advantage or disadvantage to buying both routes at one time; I would just buy on the day of travel. Your ticket will be good for all day, but just that one day, so make sure you input the correct dates if you buy the ticket ahead of time.

If you haven't already found it, you can see the Swiss rail schedules at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

To get the Golden Pass route, you would input

From Geneva

To Luzern

Via Gstaad

For your return trip to Geneva, just leave out the "via Gstaad" to get the fast route.

There's no need to stop in Interlaken -- it is a charmless (imo) transportation hub that is filled with hotels, tourist restaurants, and tourist shops. The big attraction in Interlaken is the mountains, but they are a further 2h away.

Zweisimmen is a really small town. If you want to see a picturesque town on the route, I would recommend either Gstaad or Rougemont (also very small but prettier [imo] than Zweisimmen).

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,710 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldenpass line

I agree - makes sense to go one way and come back another. AND doing this means you will either go or comeback via Bern, which is an amazing city. See this for info on Bern:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188052-c127052/Ber…

what IS important are the tickets you buy. For the Goldenpass, be sure to buy a ticket via Gstaad, as S says above,. And you can get this on the day you travel or before, makes no difference. Return via Bern. And before you start your journey here go to the ticket counter in any station and buy a Junior Card for each child. These cost 30frs each. And from then on your children travel free with you anywhere you have a ticket ... which will save a lot of money because otherwise you are going to have to pay 50% for each child...

Now for Luzern: The best way to find a hotel is to use the local tourist office site - www.luzern.ch It has a search engine. you can filter results by price, star rating etc and then see where the hotel is located on a Google map. Luzern is a small city. But you need to be somewhere in the middle, near the lake... Things to see and do there include - walking tour of the old town (sign up at the Tourist Office in the station). lake cruise. Fabulous Transport Museum. Gletschergarten museum (combines a garden with alpine and glacier etc plants, a mirror maze - great for children . and a general museum with lots of info on Luzern. Further afield you can go up two neighbouring mountains, Rigi and Pilatus. Pilatus has the steepest cog railway in the world which your children will enjoy! And even spend an afternoon in Zürich (1hr by train) if you like.

On the Golden Pass train over (or back) I would certainly not stop in Interlaken nor Zweisimmen. But definitely in Spiez, which is lovely, on lake Thun and a great place for lunch... or if you have more time stop in Brienz. Take the postbus to Ballenberg and visit the Open Air Museum there. You will need around 4hrs but it will give you a taste of "Switzerland in a nutshell" ... www.ballenberg.ch Another place to stop is Gruyères. not strictly speaking on the Goldenpass route but easily accessed from Montbovon where all the GP trains stop. Hilltop medieval village and Demonstration Cheese Factory. be careful though - it is jammed with visitors all summer...

Finally, for Geneva either before or after take a look at this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldenpass line

I have a similar question..

My parents will be travelling from Geneva Airport to Interlaken OST. I would like them to go via Zweisimmen when they are going to interlaken. So Geneva airport- Montreux- Zweisimmen - Interlaken OST on the Goldenpass line. I am having trouble calculating the cost of this. I have used this website www.sbb.ch. What I am confused about is what ticket do they buy? it worked out different route but it doesn't say anywhere which is the goldenpassline. Also will there free travel 80 mins ticket cover them from from the airport to montreux. Or do they buy a seperate ticket from the airport to montreux and then the goldenpassline?

On the return to the airport I would like them to come back via bern.

many many thanks!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,710 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldenpass line

The "Free travel 80 mins" only applies to travel within Geneva. It will get them to the main Geneva station but not to Montreux.

You need to be asking for a ticket: Geneva to Interlaken Ost VIA Zweisimmen

Any travel via Zweisimmen is on the "Goldenpass" line, which is a marketing gimmick. Actually it is on the MOB line which is Montreux-Oberland Bernois

You can also look on the MOB site - www.mob.ch or the Goldenpass - www.goldenpass.ch

5. Re: Goldenpass line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 30, 2014