We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

Manchester, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

Hi, I am traveling to Switzerland over the Summer (end of June) this year.

The following is my plan for a "7 days & 6 nights trip": (--please give me some advice--)

I will get a 8-days Swiss Pass

1) Day 1: I will land in Geneva, and I intend to spend a night there before traveling to Interlaken on the next day.

2) Day 2: I will spend my morning in Geneva (visiting the city centre, United Nations building, Fountain). Is it too short?

I will take a train to Interlaken West after lunch (journey: 2-3 hours).

I shall then visit Interlaken town for the rest of the day.

3) Day 3: I take early train from Interlaken Ost (to Lauterbrunnen, then show my Swiss Pass at the ticket counter, to obtain 50% OFF the mountain railway, to Jungfraujoch???)

How long would it take for the entire trip to Jungfraujoch, for both ways?

Train journey is approx 2.5 hrs each way. So, 5 hours on train in total?

Let's say I spend 3 hours in Jungfraujoch, is it sufficient?

I will visit the Sphinx Hall and Ice Palace.

So, in total, 8 hours for Jungfraujoch?

If I start my journey at 8am, can I expect to return to Interlaken West station at around 4pm?

Because I will need to take a train to Zermatt. Train journey is again 2-3 hours.

Arrive in Zermatt at around 7pm??

Then spend the rest of the day in Zermatt.

4) Day 4: spend a day in Zermatt.

Leave Zermatt at around 4pm for Lucerne, which will take about 3 hours train.

Spend the rest of the day in Lucerne.

5) Day 5: Spend a day in Lucerne. Leave Lucerne for Zurich in the evening.

6) Day 6: Full day in Zurich: shopping and city tour.

7) Day 7: Spend the morning in the Zurich. Catch a train (3 hours) to Geneva. Exit Switzerland from Geneva.

Is my plan viable? Is my schedule too tight, therefore might be slightly risky?

Do you have any better suggestion?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,680 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

Hi Ray G

I think you are planning too many bases in a too short time. With 6 nights you should not have more than two bases. There is so much to do and to see from all the places you would like to visit that I would recommend to slow down and to enjoy one or two areas.

This is what I think. My answer brings you back to page one and hopefully somebody else will comment.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

I agree with Pore - too many bases. and in the wrong order for sensible travel... you would be spending time backtracking which doesn't make sense on a short stay.

I would suggest this:

Arrive Geneva - if in the am, spend the afternoon sightseeing in Geneva and go straight to Zermatt in the late afternoon. If you arrive in the afternoon then skip geneva and go to Zermatt.

Spend two nights in Zermatt. This gives you a better chance of good weather and any mountain resort is very weather sensitive... if it rains (or snows) you will not have any views.

Then continue on to Interlaken Ost (Zermatt/Visp/Spiez/Interlaken Ost) and directly to Lauterbrunnen. Interlaken is simply not worth your time to visit. It is crammed with souvenir shops, fast food places and is not on a lake nor in the mountains. Use the time you had planned for Interlaken in the Lauterbrunnen area. Either stay in Laurterbrunnen or go up to Wengen and stay there. Spend two nights in the Oberland.

For the Jungfraujoch - your swiss pass will be valid to and from Wengen. Not above Wengen on the Jungfraujoch line. for that you need a supplemental ticket (before getting on the train) and your Swiss pass will give you 25% discount on this ticket - NOT 50%!

then back down to Interlaken Ost and take the Goldenpass line over the Brünig pass to Luzern. Spend the next two nights in Luzern. There is a LOT to see and do in and around Luzern and Pore knows this town better than any of us! I am sure he will answer any questions you have. From Luzern you can easily spend an afternoon in Zürich (one hour by train or less).

Finally on the day you leave, get a train from Luzern via Bern to Geneva. There are direct trains and ones that require a change in Bern. IF you have time, spend a few hours in bern en route. Well worth it.

With this itinerary you have reduced your moving about to 3 bases (still a lot in 6 nights but better than before!) and also are not backtracking except for the very short section of train between Geneva and Lausanne...

For train times, costs: www.sbb.ch/en

For Zermatt info: www.zermatt.ch

For the Oberland: www.myjungfrau.com

For Luzern - www.luzern.ch

Manchester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

Dear Hambagahle,

Thank you very much for your advice. I truly appreciate that.

I think you got the point. I shall reschedule my itinerary now. I cancelled some of my bookings.

Unfortunately I will arrive in Geneva in the evening (at 5.20pm), so I booked and paid for a hotel in Geneva (Day 1).

For Day 4, I booked a very nice 4-star hotel (rated 9.2 of 10) in Zermatt at very low price (CHF160 only). Now, if I were to reschedule Zermatt to Day 2 or Day 3, most hotels are now fully booked or at very high prices. So, I am reluctant to change my plan for Zermatt on Day 4. (Day 4 is for Zermatt)

I thought Zermatt is a very small place, is it worth spending two nights there?

As for Night 2 and Night 3, I could allocate for Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Jungfraujoch.

So my new plan is as follows:

Day 1 - arrive in Geneva at 520pm, spend the evening in the city center.

Day 2 - visit Jet d'Eau and Palais des Nations in the morning. In the afternoon, go straight to Lauterbrunnen. (as you have suggested, Interlaken is not worth visiting at all, so I decide to leave it out, allocate my time for Lauterbrunnen and Wengen instead.)

Day 3 - visit Jungfraujoch in the morning (Would you suggest that I should go straight Zermatt after that, so that I will spend 2 nights in Zermatt; or I should spare more time in other places within Oberland region?)

assuming I will spend more time in other Oberland region, I will take an early train to Zermatt on Day 4:

Day 4 - as I said, I booked a very nice hotel at a very low price, I will definitely reserve Night 4 in Zermatt.

The next question is, should I extend one more night in Zermatt? Or I should just proceed with my journey to Lucerne on Day 5?

assuming I will carry on with my journey to Lucerne, on Day 5:

Day 5 and Day 6: Should I spend two nights in Lucerne ( or one night each for both Lucerne and Zurich)?

Initially, I thought Zurich is the biggest Swiss city, so I should allocate more time there. However, you suggested that there are so much to see and do in Lucerne. So, I should then base in Lucerne, and spend a day trip (few hours) to Zurich?

Day 7: I shall return to Geneva by evening. My flight is at 9pm.

What do you think about this modified itinerary?

Ray G

Manchester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

Dear Pore,

Thank you for your respond. I truly appreciate it.

Because I will arrive in Geneva in the evening, so I will thus spend a night in the city.

Look at my reply to Hambagahle for the new itinerary. I have rescheduled my plan. Feel free to comment!!

I know, I should slow down my pace, but, it seems very expensive to spend longer in Switzerland.

Moreover, after my to trip to Switzerland, two days later, I will be travelling to Norway as well.

Would you suggest that I should spend more time in Lucerne and spend less time in Zurich?

As Hambagahle suggested, I should spend two nights in Lucerne because there are so much to see and do in Lucerne. I should maybe spend less than a day in Zurich. Do you agree?

Thanks in advance.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

You modified itinerary looks better and I quite understand why you need to stay in Geneva the night of arrival! Also if you have booked a 4 star hotel in Zermatt (which one, BTW?) for such a low price and for only one night perhaps you had better stick with that... there is no sense in moving hotels twice in two nights. But if you can spend two nights in Zermatt I would do this. ALL mountain areas are very weather sensitive and it is not at all unusual for the Matterhorn to be shrouded in clouds so you cannot see it. (Today, for example!) Staying two nights instead of one gives you just a little more chance of good weather. And the mountains around Zermatt are spectacular. Not just the Matterhorn, but there are more than 10 mountains that are over 4000m high including the highest one in Switzerland - the Dufour Peak of the Monte Rosa. You can see most of these from the Gornergrat and many from the Klein Matterhorn.

In Geneva - you do not "visit" the jet d'eau. You see it - from anywhere near the lake and best at the lakeside but it is best viewed from a distance. If you go right up to it, it is impressive but it is the jet d'eau with the backdrop of the old town, the cathedral etc that is the most impressive sight...and this can best be seend from the quai de Mt Blanc on the opposite side of the lake from the jet d'eau. As long as you are going to the PdN why not also visit the Red Cross Museum (CICR, behind the PdN). It will re-open about 18 May and has been totally renovated and I expect it to be extraordinary... I shall look forward to seeing it myself in a month or so.

Zürich - plan a half day tour there from Luzern... you can see the centre of town, even take a mini lake cruise, and visit the Grossmunster and the Fraumunster (Chagall windows at the latter).

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,680 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

Hi Ray G

Yes, I agree. One night is not enough as you would not have time to visit anything in the area. Look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) for more information. As Lucerne is just one train hour away from Lucerne, you have a choice to visit Zurich - even shorter as you can see on www.sbb.ch/en/ - or to go directly to the airport (hourly direct trains via Zurich HB, main station).

pore

7. Re: Geneva- Interlaken- Jungfraujoch- Zermatt- Lucerne- Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 30, 2014