We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Pass

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Pass

Dear All, we are 4 adults planning to travel to switzerland in last week of May 2013.

I need guidance on following:

a. Is there any benefit buying Swiss Rail Pass in advance online or I can buy it from Railway Station once I reach Switzerland? As I will be travelling from Venice to Geneva by flight will I be able to buy Rail Pass from airport station. Also as my flight will land Geneva at 9 p.m., will buying rail pass from geneva take lot of time?

b. By booking online, I am entitle to get discount of 15% as 4 adults are travelling together. Will I be eligible for same discount if I purchase pass from Geneva Station.

c. I intend to travel Jungfraujoch on 30th may. Should I do booking in advance as May being peak season in Switzerland.

Thanks in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
959 reviews
from $164.64*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
294 reviews
from $241.69*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,175 reviews
from $157.01*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
986 reviews
from $241.69*
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,810 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Pass

Hi there,

a] Yes you can wait until you're there.

b] It's a discount for 2+ people. Again as far as I read applicable for all methods of buying.

c] Don't. Always enough seats (almost), and it's better to wait for the morning of planned travel to make sure there are views high up there. It fluctuates a lot and with clouds on the mountains it's a rather useless and moneywasting trip.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Pass

We are reaching Zurich, Switzerland on 25Jul13 early moring at 6:30 and plan to stay until 29Jul moring to leave for Italy. So in total it is a 4 days of travel in Swis, hence we are thinking Swiss pass for 4 consecutive days should be the best solution. We make our base for 3 nights in interlaken and do Jungfrauch, Lucern and Mt. Titlis from there, also if time permits we will explore other nearby options. On 4rth night we move back to Zurich to expore some city life and move to Italy from there.

a. So my questions are is 4 days consecutive swiss pass the best option as we are budget travellers.

b. Is the itenary looks practical enough and if we are covering the best in it.

c. We plan to take cruise at interlaken so is it not a part of Swiss pass

d. According to the pass we should go Jungfrouch on the last day or the first as we will be slightly tired on our first day?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Pass

I ve returned from swiss in first week of July after spending 7 days there. trust me, u ll enjoy ur stay there. The best way to travel there is swiss pass. As regards your Itenary, 4 days will be less. With Jungfrauch, Lucern and Mt. Titlis you are just covering central swiss. You may explore going to Bern on ur last day, and from there go to Italy. Bern is capital of swiss so, you will get more train options. The cruise is not worth spending, rather spend your time looking at other cities.

if you take my advice, you can skip going to Jungfrouch, if you plan to go to Mt. Titlis. If you still want to go, go on last day, as no point going there with tired mind.

If you are staying overnight in Zurich, don't miss Rhine falls. If you need any advice you may email me on amit@dalaldoctor.com. would be happy to help you.

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Pass

Thanks amit! I have been told that jungfrough is a must over titlis bieng a peak and snow capped...however i take ur point there. I stay 3 n in interlaken so i plan to cover 2 mountains 1 day each and 1 day for interlaken and other cities nearby. We stay 1 n in zurich as well so rhine falls should be done. I hav already booked train from zurich to milan so will not be able to alther this one however will see where to accomodate bern. Also if you can plz share if the swiss pass are readily available at the airport or tell me the best way to buy in order to beat cost. I am too confused abt the way these pass work.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Pass

jungfrough is v good, but provided you have more day. you will spend 2 valuable days, seeing just 2 mountain top. Mt. Titlis is little adventures as from bottom to top you go on cable car and at the same time, it is more cheaper then jungfrough. When one goes to jungfrough, the entire route is in a tunnel, so according to me its not preferred. Any way, its one's own choice what to see. if you have been to Kashmir or ladakh, you may feel it to be same.

Swiss pass is like how we have local railway pass for 1 month or 3 month. its very easy to use. you can get in to any train, you can change train, you can go out on any station and catch another train etc etc.. There will be lot of connecting train you will have to take, for e.g when you want to travel from Zurich to Interlaken, there will not be any direct train. You will have to change your train may be at Bern. So all this is free, just change the platform and you are done.

If you pre-order your swiss pass, you will pay additional for postage cost and there is no benefit whatsoever. Further more, you will have to get that validated. (Validation is required to start from the date you want to use it). These Passes are available on ticket window of railway stations. You just need to show them the passport or any legal identity proof. That proof you will have to carry along with you whenever you are travailing. So if you are taking it on passport, make sure you carry along with you everywhere.

Now you will be reaching Zurich airport at 6:30. There is one railway station connected to Airport. You just need to go to ticket window of the station and ask for pass. They will do the needful. when you buy it ask them to validate also.

I hope this is clear.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Pass

Dear Khushi, I have some 743 swiss frank, which i m planning to surrender. in case u guys r interested in buying, then call me on 9967564433. This will save your money as well i wld be able to realise more. do let me know if interested to buy.

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Pass

I will call you regarding this today. Thanks a ton!

8. Re: Swiss Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 13, 2014