We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Switzerland from July 22-30.How should we do it?

Washington DC...
10 posts
Save Topic
One week in Switzerland from July 22-30.How should we do it?

Hello,

Three of our family members (me, wife, and my 20-year old daughter) will be visiting Switzerland from USA from July 22 until July 30. We will be landing at Zurich airport and planning to visit all famous spots including Lucerne, Englberg, Interlaken, Bern, Vevey, Montreaux, Geneva, Lugano, Schaffhausen. There are so many options to tour this greatest country on earth. I hope we can do it the best possible way with proper planning and execution.

Can you please help us plan the travel? I have following questions for you.

1) Does it make sense to rent a car for our trip? Or should we simply join tour group? ( I am not a big fan of this).

2) If not what kind of train pass you want us to purchase? First class or second class to see better views?

3) What are the places that we need to spend the overnight at?

4) I am not sure if carrying luggage would make it real hard to catch trains from spot to spot. That is the reason, I was thinking of renting a car. But I have heard about some bad experiences when renting a car.

5) We are also thinking about a 2-day trip to Paris from Geneva in train if time permits. I am not sure if that would be a good idea.

I may have more questions based on the responses. Thanks much for all the help.

Mike

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in Switzerland from July 22-30.How should we do it?

Hi Mike,

I try to answer a few of your questions and that will bring you on the "frontpage"

First let me say you have 9 places you want to visit and 8 days, that's much and not enough time.

1) I would try to plan without a car. Tourgroups are not very common in Switzerland, if you see groups, they normally already come as a group from abroad (Asia for example)

2) views are mostly the same in first and second class

3)Lucerne overnight stay (see Top questions about Lucerne)

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g188064-i573-Lucer…

and visit Engelberg

(do you also want to visit Titlis? Pilatus?Rigi?)

http://www.titlis.ch/index.php?id=2

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/

http://www.rigi.ch/en/welcome.cfm

Lugano, Schaffhausen and Geneva are a bit out of your track or do you fly out from Geneva?

Interlaken: Did you think to visit Jungfrau? I would not visit both,Titlis and Jungfrau

From Interlaken to Vevey I think you would like to take the Goldenpass route?

5) if you are thinking to make that trip in the time from July 22 until July 30 : I do not think you have time for that trip.

I give you the website for trains

fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en…

and how to use it

sbb.ch/en/…

Happy planning

mum47

Washington DC...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in Switzerland from July 22-30.How should we do it?

Hi mum47,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. Here is the dliema of the trip. I am flying from USA to India and the returning back from India with my daughter. Then on the way back to USA, my wife will join us at Zurich and then we start the trip. We will have three medium to large suitcases and some carry-on bags with us all the time. Since we will be moving from place to place every 1-2 days and catching train etc. it will be hard for us to move with the luggage. I was wondering, if there is any cheaper way to leave the luggage at Zurich hotel or airport and carry one or two pieces with us, so that it will be lot easier. Do you think still I need to stick to train schedule instead of renting? I have heard driving and parking may be somewhat challenging but it gives me the flexibility. I could be wrong here.

Here is my plan based on the train schedule.

1) Arrive Zurich at 10 am on 7/21. Take a train to Lucerne and spend 2 days/nights (7/21 and 7/22 nights)

2) 7/23 Leave Lucerne and spend a night at Engelberg ( 7/23 night)

3) 7/24 leave Engelberg and spend two nights in Interlaken (7/24 and 7/25 nights)

4) 7/26 leave and stay in Geneva area (????) – 7/26 and 7/27 nights

5) 7/28 leave Geneva to Zurich and stay 2 nights in Zurich (7/28 and 7/29 nights)

You have mentioned that Geneva is out of the stretch, but how can I spend the 7/26 and 7/27 days and nights. How about Paris? Is it feasible? Thanks

Mike

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in Switzerland from July 22-30.How should we do it?

Hi Mike,

You mentioned Vevey and Montreux and I was thinking you travel by the Goldenpass line from Interlaken to Montreux and stay overnight in Montreux.

http://www.goldenpass.ch/

If you want to stay at Zürich for the last 2 nights, I would ask the hotel , if you can leave the biggest suitcases there and travel only with less luggage.

If you want absolutely hire a car, be aware that its schoolholiday at that time, (you may have traffic jams) and also that you will pay a lot of parking fees in the cities.

Not every hotel has a garage in house (Lucerne for example)

About Paris: I would not like to travel to Paris by car with a lot of luggage

If you skip Montreux, you could rush to Paris, i'm not so sure if it's worth to do so.

Switzerland seems to be a small country but it's bigger than you may think. Pitty to only rush thru and have not had the time to enjoy.

mum47

Washington DC...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One week in Switzerland from July 22-30.How should we do it?

Hi,

I have revised my trip. Here is my tentative schedule.

Day 1, land at Zurich 8:30 am. Take a train to Lucerne and stay for 2 nights

Day 3,4,5 - Wengen area

Day 6,7 -Zermatt area

Day 8 - Montreux

Day 9 - Zurich

Day 10 - Leave for USA from Zurich.

I am not sure if this is feasible. I might not be able to cover Zermatt, Montreux in 4 days/3nights? Please help. Thanks

5. Re: One week in Switzerland from July 22-30.How should we do it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 07, 2014