Three of our family members (me, wife, and my 20-year old daughter) will be visiting Switzerland from USA from July 22 until July 30. We will be landing at Zurich airport and planning to visit all famous spots including Lucerne, Englberg, Interlaken, Bern, Vevey, Montreaux, Geneva, Lugano, Schaffhausen. There are so many options to tour this greatest country on earth. I hope we can do it the best possible way with proper planning and execution.
Can you please help us plan the travel? I have following questions for you.
1) Does it make sense to rent a car for our trip? Or should we simply join tour group? ( I am not a big fan of this).
2) If not what kind of train pass you want us to purchase? First class or second class to see better views?
3) What are the places that we need to spend the overnight at?
4) I am not sure if carrying luggage would make it real hard to catch trains from spot to spot. That is the reason, I was thinking of renting a car. But I have heard about some bad experiences when renting a car.
5) We are also thinking about a 2-day trip to Paris from Geneva in train if time permits. I am not sure if that would be a good idea.
I may have more questions based on the responses. Thanks much for all the help.