We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss trip

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss trip

hi I am planning a 12 day vacation in Switzerland with my daughter. how does this itinerary seem?

Zurich to Schaffhausen: Arrive on 1st May & leave 2nd afternoon

Lucerne: Arrive 2nd evening and leave 4th morning

Neuchatel: Arrive on the 4th and leave on the 5th to Geneva

Geneva: Stay on the 5th & 6th and leave for Interlaken on the 7th morning

Interlaken: Spend 2 days (7th & 8th) and leave for Lugano on the morning of the 9th

Lugano: spend remaining time of the 9th & 10th and leave mid day of 11th

Spend the night of the 11th in Zurich

Departure on the morning of the 12th.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss trip

>how does this itinerary seem?

Horrendous, unless your only aim is to be able to go home and say you have seen all of Switzerland in 12 days. All you will remember will be hotel receptions and train stations.

Any particular reason for staying in Schaffhausen and Neuchatel?

Your itinerary only gives you one full day in Lucerne, Geneva, Interlaken and Lugano. Hardly time to get your bearings let alone explore what each has to offer. I expect you will want to take the scenic route from Geneva to Interlaken which will take 5 hours so you might find Montreux to be a better location.

Ideally select just three locations and make trips from there.

Visit www.myswitzerland.com/en/home.html for ideas.

Sit down with a good map.

Check travel times at:- www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss trip

Sure, point taken. Thank you. Ofcourse I did feel I was zigzagging across

Schaffhausen was for the Rhinefalls & Neuchatel was for a visit to a watch manufacture. can be skipped

But I do want her to see Lucerne, Lugano, interlaken, Geneva (have friends there who want to meet my kid).

So then should the trip be:

Zurich to lugano then to interlaken to Lucerne to Geneva?

OR

Zurich - Lucerne - Interlaken - Geneva - Lugano?

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss trip

Hi Deepa_13

There is no ideal route as Geneva and Lugano are some distance apart. I think I would choose your second option but go straight to Lucerne and finish in Zurich from where you can visit the Rhine Falls. You could travel from Geneva to Lugano via Domodossola and the Centovlli line to Locarno.

www.centovalli.ch/centovalli/home/home.php

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss trip

Pardon me, if I intervene in this discussion. And even though I agree with swissaholic that this itinerary is too packed with too many bases, I must pronounce that I have sympathy with the ideas to spend some days in Schaffhausen and Neuchâtel.

Both are situated in lovey environments and are somehow hidden gems, especially to the mass tourism. Especially Neuchâtel on the lake during spring time.

So if you prefer not to follow exclusively the beaten paths I would keep them in considerations. Especially during high season peaks, since their relative mass toursim tranquilleness (owever, Swiss toursim like Neuchâtel/Jura very much) can be relieve.

Just my few bits.

http://www.juradreiseenland.ch/en#

Edited: 10:59 am, March 08, 2013
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss trip

Good morning & thank you....that advice did clear my mind. Much as I wanted to go back to Lugano (had been stuck there for a week when the unspellable volcano spewed ash), beautiful as it is, is just not feasible on this trip

so now here goes:

Zurich - Geneva: 1st, 2nd & 3rd (where we could go to Annecy & Yvoire)

Geneva - Montreux: the day & night of the 4th

Head to Interlaken & stay: 5th, 6th & 7th (one day at the summit of the Jungfraujoch, Wengen and Grindelwald and one day at Giesbach on the Brienz Lake with the old steam boat)

To Lucerne: 8th, 9th & 10th

Zurich: 11th & if possible the rhinefalls or just stay put.

And then I guess, next year can be kept for Neuchatel, Lugano & into Italy

6. Re: Swiss trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 11, 2014