We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on Mt Titlis and Matterhorn visit / train

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
107 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on Mt Titlis and Matterhorn visit / train

Hi,

I am a eurail select pass holder. I am planning the following day trips during my short transit in Switzerland and have some questions I would like to seek help on.

24 Apr

AM Take train from Lucerne to Engelberg and return. Purpose of this trip is to visit Mt Titlis

PM Train from Lucerne to Interlaken

25 Apr

AM train from interlaken to zermatt (this is already covered under eurail pass)

Noon/PM cable car to view Matterhorn

My questions will be:

1 does my eurail pass offers any discount for the train to to and for Engelberg from Interlaken?

2 similarly, any discount for eurail holder for entrance fees to Mt Titlis and Matterhorn cable cars?

3 Should I prepurchase my tickets (Titlis and Matterhorn) online? Will I run into a risk of not granted entry due to sold out situation?

4 I need to get from Lucerne to Interlaken on 24 Apr PM. Is it ok to buy the train ticket only on that day when I am at the station?

Looking forward to some helps.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds, Lin

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Engelberg
Engelberg
Canton of Obwalden, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
The Matterhorn
The Matterhorn
3,110 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Mount Titlis
Mount Titlis
2,582 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Titlis
Titlis
101 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,928 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on Mt Titlis and Matterhorn visit / train

Hi Lin

Are you sure you want to rush through the country as you planned. Your destination would be the trains - timetables see www.sbb.ch/en /.

1) Yes

2) As I know, no

3) No better buy your ticket before you go there as you can not know if the weather will allow to go up the mountains.

4) You can buy it at the railway station just before you hop on the train. This is what the Swiss do. By the way on your way to Interlaken I would recommend you take the Bruenig railway (on www.sbb.ch/en input from Lucerne to Interlaken Ost via Bruenig-Hasliberg)

I would recommend you base yourself in one area and visit the sights and attractions there. This would give you more time. For Lucerne for example look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

Happy planning

pore

Mentioned in this post
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
328 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Hasliberg
Hasliberg
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
2. Re: Questions on Mt Titlis and Matterhorn visit / train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 07, 2014