We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

William tell Express cost

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
William tell Express cost

I would like to cost train tickets for the William Tell Express from Lucerne to Lugano but I am not having any success. Can someone tell me the cost for 1st class and 2nd class tickets for adults. Also the cost of tickets for Lugano to St Moritz on the Bernina Express.

Thank you

Paul

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: William tell Express cost

sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/day-trips/erlebni…

http://www.rhb.ch/Bernina-Express.1676.0.html

Both use "normal" trains and boats. Pretty much the same can be done with a normal public transport ticket or rail pass, eg. the Swiss Pass.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: William tell Express cost

Wilhelm Tell Express

sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/day-trips/erlebni…

Bernina Express

www.rhb.ch/Bernina-Express.2188.0.html…

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: William tell Express cost

Thank you for the quick response. Can we use our Swiss card and get a 50% discount on the cost of tickets

Thanks again

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: William tell Express cost

I think we have been here before. The Swiss Card can only be used to travel to and from a border location to ONE destination not for multiple transfers.

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: William tell Express cost

The swiss card I have been advised to purchase by a travel agent is a Swiss card.

The Swiss Card offers the same advantages as the Swiss Transfer Ticket and includes one-day transfers from airport or border station to destination in Switzerland and return plus unlimited tickets at half-fare.

Swiss Card is valid for 1 month.

The Swiss Card is ideal if you are spending your holidays in one specific region.

Advantages at a glance:

Valid for your journey from the Swiss border or one of Switzerland’s airports to your destination and back (Synoptic map, PDF)

Unlimited purchase of train, bus, boat and some cable car tickets at half price

Valid for 1 month

Children from 6 to 15 years inclusive travel free with a Family Card if accompanied by at least one parent.

Therefore to my previous question, Can I use it to get discounts on the William Tell Express and the Bernina Express.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: William tell Express cost

paulscan

Am I to take it from your reply that you will now be staying at only one destination in Switzerland and will not be trying to make seven transfers between resorts using a standard Swiss Card?

The answer to your question can be found at the two sites to which we gave you the links.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: William tell Express cost

Hi paulscan,

swissaholic is mismatching here the Swiss Transfer Ticket with the Swiss Card.

And yes, you can. The Swiss Card is nothing else than a Half-Fare Card inbetween the first, inward journey and the last, outward journey.

For the Wilhelm Express you find the fare on the "Timetables and prices" tab of the above given link. Unfortunately, reservations has to be made by phone (SBB: +41 900 300 300, they speak English!) or by a travel agent.

For the Bernina Express you just buy a normal haf-fare ticket. But do not forget to make reservations, for both, the bus leg between Lugano and Tirano (compulsory in any case, not running the whole year!), and the train leg from Tirano onwards (compulsory only, if you explicitely want to ride the Express and not any of the regular trains)! And do the reservations early as possible! But the online reservation process is not extremely convenient (to say the slightest about it), since you have to make the reservations for bus and train seperately, and in order to make it even harder, their (bus and train) summer timetables do not start at the same date! So, therefore study first of all the timetable carefully. www.rhb.ch/Bernina-Express.2188.0.html…

And do not forget to click on the train/coach icon in order to start your reservation after selecting the date and time!

Alternatively, you could take the Palm Express (Swiss PostAuto bus) between Lugano and St. Moritz on a different route along Menaggio - Chiavenna. Here you also need compulsory reservation and in this case you have to pay an additional Alpine Ticket for CHF 15 on top of your half-fare ticket (CHF 36.50) bought with your Swiss Card. postauto.ch/en/…

So, I woud advice, check the given links carefully to understand the situation. And a look on the maps always helps.

Edited: 2:56 am, February 09, 2013
8. Re: William tell Express cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 11, 2014