We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe tour on our own

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Europe tour on our own

Me,Ravindra (42 Yrs) and my wife priya (37 yrs) from Bangalore,India are planing for a europe trip. Initially we were planing for a package trip organised by operators like Thomas cook etc from India. But we feel we will not be able to understand the country by its people,culture,living etc., in such package tours as they take us to most of the sought after selected places and we will not get enough time to see on our own to understand.

Can we go on our own, is it risky, is it very costly.

Some one, pl advise us. We have travelled to many south east and middle east countries but with package tour operators.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe tour on our own

Hi Ravindra

It is nearly impossible to answer a part of your questions as we even do not know when and for how long you will be travelling and what your interests are.

Travelling on your own is very easy and safe (at least in Switzerland). Organizing a trip is a lot of fun. I would recommend you do not plan to stay at too many bases. Spend at least three of four nights at one base so you have time to explore.

There are many excellent tips for budget travelling in Switzerland on the Top Questions about Switzerland (right side of your screen).

Happy planing

pore

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe tour on our own

Congratulatons. You are on the right path. It is much more interesting to explore a country, its people and its culture alone, by doing careful pre travel reading and trip planning.

For countries or regions like Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, UK, Scandinavia, Austria aso it is very easy to get around, as all those countries have a certain standard of living, people with english knowledge and good public transportation facilities. But also in the others youll be safe and welcome. Maybe sometimes the public transport system needs a special attention, or most of the people don't speak english ( i.e. South of Spain or France).

Just stay relaxed and take your time. be open for other kind of living, and try to get in contact with the locals. Your holiday will be a much more intense experience!

Edited: 5:20 am, January 17, 2013
3. Re: Europe tour on our own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 19, 2014