We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

This will be my 1st time backpacking in Europe since I was teenager. I have, however, returned to Europe many times since my first visit as a backpacker over a decade ago. This will be my first time ever in Switzerland and I am excited to get my backpack out of storage!

We are flying into Munich and making our way down by car or train (undecided at this point). The only place we know we want to stay for sure is the Jungfrau region for hiking and camping. We would also like to experience the city life of Switzerland, which is where I need your help! Please compare and contrast the following cities, so I know whether they are suitable for adult backpackers:

Zurich

Lucerne

Interlaken

Geneva

Thanks in advance! Your advice is very much appreciated!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

What makes a city "suitable for an adult backpacker"? Or what is an "unsuitable" city? I struggle to understand what you are asking.

Anyway, Interlaken is not a city, it is just a small town with a transportation hub.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

Hi cruisin_for_bruisin

You do not say when you will be travelling which is pritty important in Switzerland.

About the cities you mentioned in your post:

Zurich: www.zuerich.com/de and Top Questions about Zurich (TA Zurich forum)

Lucerne: www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum)

Geneva: www.geneva.com and Top Questions about Geneva (TA Geneva forum)

Interlaken area: www.myjungfrau.ch

I would recommend you travel by public transport. For all informations look at www.sbb.ch/en (other transport modes do not make sence for a budget trip).

You may find out yourself what is suitable or not for you with the above links as we do not understand what you mean.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

I also recommend you travel by train and post bus. (Here the post bus network covers the places the trains do not go to...)

if you want to stay at hostels look at: www.youthhostels.ch some of them are very good and there are hostels in all the towns.

But Altamiro is right! what is "suitable for an adult couple" ? You don't say what your interests are, but we have a huge number of excellent museums in this country. And avoid Interlaken if you can. It is a transport hub (two rail stations in a very small town) and not much good at anything else except - loads of tacky souvenir shops!! One good thing there though - chocolates from Schuh!

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

The campsite in Lauterbrunnen in the valley between Murren and Wengen looks super. I haven't stayed there but passed it many times. On the basis of what I saw, I would stay there in a heartbeat. I agree, not car. Rather trains, postbuses, boats, cogwheel trains, cable cars - the Swiss transport system is amazing.

Edited: 8:37 am, October 10, 2012
London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

There is also a hostel in Lauterbrunnen which is meant to be very good.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

and I heard from a friend that the hostel in Solothurn is beautiful (from the building's point of view) and really really a good place to stay.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

Thanks everyone! I saw the Holiday Camp in Lauterbrunnen and it looks like a great place to stay. They are located right in the center of the valley and have a mix of tent camping, RV rentals, and dorms.

@altimiro - Maybe I'm wrong, but my personal experience has taught me that certain cities attract a very young crowd of backpackers (teens and early 20s). I think that's great, but my husband and I would rather be surrounded by people our own age or older. That's our personal preference. By "appropriate for adult backpackers" I mean: cities with an older demographic of travelers; not too fancy, yet still offering plenty of activities for tourists.

Edited: 2:04 pm, October 13, 2012
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

Don't know which cities/towns you have been in, but here in Switzerland our towns have a real age mix. Certainly areas of places like Zürich or geneva are more for "the young" but none of our towns or cities are exclusively for one age or another... we are multi-generational here, in fact! So choose which you think suits you best.

9. Re: Cities best for a married couple (early 30s) backpacking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 15, 2013