We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

during my switzerland trip in sept, i will stay in Bern (old town), Murten, Brig, Zermatt, jungfar region (lautrtbrunnen to be exact), Luzern (old town) and Zurich (old town).

can anyone recommend a restaurant in any of the above location that serve decent swiss food or where locals dine?? i don't want to go a restaurant that mainly serve tourists.

thanks all swiss experts

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

Avoid this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtiIPDXQnwM

All others should be fine, note Zermatt and Lauterbrunnen are 100% tourist villages

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

There is a wonderful restaurant in Murten - or rather right next to it - le Vieux Manoir au Lac. Very good indeed. In Bern the Kornhauskeller is super. Great food and ambiance. Also the Rathauskeller which is cheaper but not bad.

Zermatt is not really 100% "tourist" - a lot of Swiss go there for their holidays. Myself included from time to time. Or have secondary residences there. But I suppose if what you mean by "tourist" is a place where people come to stay away from their own homes then most places in the world are like this!! Even sleepy little Martigny gets a lot of visitors. I don't particularly think of Martigny as a tourist place but they are here!!

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

hikerlux - thanks for the video, u read my mind : ) despite their lovely music, that is exactly where i don't want to dine.

Hambagahle - thanks for your insights again, i knew u would give wonderful advises. i checked out ur suggestions and they do look pretty good, especially the one in Murten.

do u have any suggestions in Luzern or around lake Uri (since i will hike the swiss path)?

thanks again

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

Better ask "Pore" about Luzern. Though I can recommend a very nice restaurant right in the main station. It is on the first floor. Very good food. I think its name is "Au Premier" (very imaginative!!) But again, Pore can confirm this.

And the only place I go to in Uri is Andermatt... the restaurant Sonne there is OK. It is on the main street. Nice people run it too.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

In Lucerne I can recommend the Rathaus Brauerei, good hearty food and they brew their own beer (the small white building on the photo)

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch/

then next to it up the stairs leading to a square in the old town is the Brasserie Bodu, very popular with the Lucerne in-crowd and elegant tourists,, I don't eat there and usually go for a late evening coffee and a chat at the bar, you need reservation here

http://www.brasseriebodu.ch/ .

Then about 50 m to the left next block under the arcades of hotel Schiff is the antipasta eatery La Barca, the lady of the house is a wine connoisseur I go there occasionally since many years when in Lucerne and she remembers my favoured cheese and wine.

hotel-schiff-luzern.ch/english_la_barca.php

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

thanks again

hikerLuxembourg & Hambagahle

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

HL - Glad you recommend the Rathaus Brauerie because we ate there by accident last time we were in Luzern and liked it a lot. I had forgotten the name! It is great atmosphere and good, reasonably priced food.

8. Re: can anyone recommend a restaurant where local dine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 11, 2012