We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the best places to stay for 4 nights in Switzerland

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
What are the best places to stay for 4 nights in Switzerland

Me and my husband planning to visit Paris, switzerland and Venice for 11 days trip in last week of september. We decided 3 nights stay in Paris, 4 night stay in switzerland and 4 nights stay in Venice.

For Venice and paris, I read related things to do on TA and other forums on trip advisor. But for Switzerland I am not able to decide "where to go" and "what transport would I need". I am thinking this route but not sure: Paris....Zurich.....Lucerne....Interlaken....Zermatt.....Italy.

From TA I have read that Bern and Wengen are also very beautiful.

I am interested to see scenic or romantic views, shopping and lakes in switzerland.

Also the question which disturb me that should I stay at one hotel in switzerland and go places from there OR Do I need to switch my hotels according to the places where I am planning to visit? Are the distances not so long from one place to another so that I can come back to my hotel everyday? Please also recommend me the hotel which is best for me.

What is the best transportation should I use to go from Switzerland to Visit Venice?

Thanks in advance.

BJ

Edited: 8:14 pm, September 08, 2010
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the best places to stay for 4 nights in Switzerland

Hi BJ_11,

I'm a big fan of staying in one place. For one thing, you'll lose about half a day every time you switch hotels with the chores of packing up and checking out, then checking in and unpacking again. Add to that the time you'll waste getting to know your new location, etc. So I would advise you to decide on the best spot for your trip, then stay there and see all the local delights!

For your trip, I would suggest either the Interlaken area (specifically the mountain villages above ), or Bern, or Luzern.

Bern would probably be one of the most convenient since it'll give you quick and easy connection from Paris. From Bern you can see the beautiful lakes on either side of Interlaken, and you can ascend to the Top of Europe and visit the beautiful mountain villages like Wengen and Mürren.

Luzern would be the other best-bet options. It will also be convenient from Paris, and from Luzern you can ascned nearby peaks like Titlis and Pilatus and Rigi. Luzern also sits on a system of lakes, and its scenery is very dramatic.

If you haven't already found it, you may want to use the Swiss rail site to get all your schedules --

www.rail.ch

I hope you've already bought your train tickets between Paris and Switzerland, as prices go way up the longer you wait. do you mean to visit in Septeber 2010, as in just a week or two from now?

Have fun with your planning!

s

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the best places to stay for 4 nights in Switzerland

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am talking about this September'10. We haven't buy any ticket yet. As this is our first time to visit Europe, so tons of questions in our mind. Sorry if I am asking basic questions here. Also as there are many transportation options while I am searching would you please suggest what are the best transportation options for:

1. From Paris to Switzerland= ? "Which train ticket I need to buy"? Swiss pass or Eurail pass, tourist pass etc.

2. Inside Switzerland ( to visit different places like bern, zurich etc)=? Do I need a bus ticket or train ticket? which train ticket will be best?

3. From Switzerland to Venice=? "Which train ticket I need to buy"?Swiss pass or Eurail pass, tourist pass etc.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the best places to stay for 4 nights in Switzerland

Hi again,

'First of all, don't confuse a ticket with a pass. A ticket gives you transportation from one point to another point, and might be called point-point tickets; a pass grants you free access to trains within a certain specified time. A Eurail Pass and a Swiss Pass are quite different.

From Paris to Switzerland, you should buy the tickets as soon as possible to try to get a cheaper ticket. Again, the longer you wait, the more you will spend. You can get the tickets at these sites:

www.voyages-sncf.fr

use this if you speak French. Do NOT select English or North America or you will be bumped to Raileurope, which charges more for point-point tickets.

www.tgv-europe.com

Use this if you cannot manage the other in French. But again do not select North America.

If you can snag a discount fare, they are around 30-50 euro per person, so it's worthwhile to get one.

For the rest of your travel within the country, use the site I gave you above. It will give you all the schedules as well as the fares. Add up the fares, and see if one of the Passes or Discount Cards will give you a benefit. You can see all these at

www.swisstravelsystem.com

Sorry, I have no experience with travelling to Italy. I don't think you get a discount buying ahead of time, though, so you may be fine with just buying a day or two before you leave Switzerland.

Have fun!

s

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the best places to stay for 4 nights in Switzerland

Thanks alot

5. Re: What are the best places to stay for 4 nights in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:47 am, March 09, 2011