We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow tyres/snow chains

VA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snow tyres/snow chains

Hi

we are going to Switzerland on nov 24 for our 9 day trip. Not sure if we will rent a car but if so would you recommend getting snow chains (or snow tyres should be enough?) ? I am not sure about the road conditions but heard that there will be snow shower throughout the time we are there. is it too bad to drive? I've read suggestions in this forum to take public transportations but I was wondering how ..if we have to carry heavy luggages from one place to another in the midst of snow. We havent booked our hotels because we are not sure how to find them w/o a car. I would really appreciate any recommends from you guys. Thank you in advance...

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow tyres/snow chains

> heard that there will be snow shower throughout the time we are there.

Then you know far more than we (those who live here) do! In the mountains there might be snow indeed, but if it is snowing and you are not used to mountain roads in bad wetaher, don't risk your life - just take trains or buses. The trains are usually not affected and the bus drivers are better used to the weather than you. In bigger cities you can get to your hotels with public transport, in smaller towns there will be a taxi or two at the station -and in the smallest ones you won't have to go far. So, don't worry about that and use the trains.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow tyres/snow chains

Snow tyres (which your rental car will have) are usually fine as long as you stick to the cities and highways. But if you plan to drive in the mountains you should have snow chains as well (maybe they are provided by the rental company, not sure about that). I agree that only snow experienced persons should drive a car (at least in the mountains) in winter time.

Riding on trains is much more relaxing. When you are looking for a hotel, ask them if they provide a pick up service from the train station as many do - this would be the easiest way!

Bay Area
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow tyres/snow chains

How do they move their luggage around in Public Transportation?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow tyres/snow chains

Pack light, have luggage with wheels and lift them into the bus or train. Don't take big pieces of luggage with you.

Where do you plan to go? It will give us a better idea about the train/car situation.

I live 950 meters high. We have our first snow and it's COLD. They put tons of salt on the main roads so snow tires are plenty as long as you aren't travelling through the mountains.

Snow storms are another story.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow tyres/snow chains

Switzerland has the most well integrated transport system in the world. Everything connects and you can get pretty much everywhere by train, bus, boat, cable car etc. The last short journey to your hotel or chalet can be done by taxi. It is impossible to get to many of the most interesting places by car, eg. Murren, Zermatt.

We have been regular visitors for more than 20 years and find it much more relaxing to leave the car at home. In the German speaking areas almost everyone speaks good English, so it is easy to ask for help and advice.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow tyres/snow chains

Not a real problem. Rent a 4x4, they are all equiped with snow tyres, ask for chains at the rental station, and if there's snow just drive carefully like most others do. Enjoy your stay!!

canada
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow tyres/snow chains

a 4x4 has no advantage in case of 4-wheel skid.

For infoseeker, for a fee one can send one's luggage ahead by train/postbus to the next destination for collection.