We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
455 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

Hi folks

We are going to get a Swiss Flexi Pass for 2 people for travel for 6 days in the period 22/6- 29/6/2010.

It seems that the Swiss Pass can only be bought two months in advance. I wanted to make reservations for travel on both the Glacier and Bernina Expresses as soon as possible. Can I make just the reservations on these and any other trains prior to purchasing the Swiss Flexi Pass, and can this be done from Australia without going through a broker?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

Hi---you can book your seat reservations (separately from tickets or pass) on the Rhätische Bahn website---which is both the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express:

www.rhb.ch/Glacier-Express.34.0.html?&L=4

Just click on each train and you'll see the "reservation " link pop up. For the Bernina, you may be able to book only as far as Tirano. The bus from there to Lugano is a different system.

It may be too early to book for June---I tried dates in May for the Bernina, and it wouldn't take those, The Glacier Express may be different.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

You can buy your Swiss Pass on arrival in Switzerland it's worth doing a price comparison.

Edited: 4:50 am, February 28, 2010
Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

Good point. I don't know how the Austrailian dollar is doing, but for us in the US it is cheaper to buy a Swiss Pass on arrival there than to buy it in the US with dollars.

But the good news for them is that they can book their reservations for these scenic trains on the website before they buy their pass.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

For the U.S., a Swiss Pass can be bought 6 months in advance. If you Google Swiss Pass Australia, the first thing that comes up is:

www.railtickets.com.au/pass_details.asp…

and it says at the bottom under Validation:

"Pass must be validated within 6 months from the date of issuance"

which would seem to indicate it can be bought 6 months in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

Thanks again- it looks like you have to send away for a reservation on the Glacier- unfortunately you have to nominate a time, and the timetable for summer isn't available yet (which makes it sort of pointless to offer that option I guess!)

So it looks like I'll have to wait a few more weeks until timetables and bookings become available on line. In the meantime I guess I'll just stress about some tour groups filling the train up!

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

You will find the summer timetable here. glacierexpress.ch/timetableandprices/summer2…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

Great! Thanks for that- but I have to wonder why the RHB site doesn't have it!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

One other question- is it possible to see a seating plan for both the Glacier and Bernina Expresses (Expressi?) , and specify which seat you'd like? I can't see any facility to do so on the Glacier link.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

The RHB site--when you are within the booking time---will show a diagram of the car with available seats. You can test this by looking at a trip in April, just to se how it works.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Swiss Trains with Swiss Saver FlexiPass

On last question- if I'm going to buy the Swiss Passes on arrival at Chur am I right to think that I should do so at the SBB Reisburo rather than the Rhatische Bahn office at the station?