We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Without Signature on Back

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Card Without Signature on Back

I carry my credit cards without my signature on the back of the cards. Here in the US, it's totally fine to put "see I.D." on the back of a credit card instead of a signature. So, when a merchant wants to verify my identification, I will simply give her my photo I.D. (driver's license here in the US). For me, this seems more secure than checking signatures because a thief can forge my signature easily if he has stolen my card.

If I bring these credit cards with me to Europe, will I be in trouble because there is no signature on the back of the cards?

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from $161.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from $173.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from $249.80*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
655 reviews
from $108.00*
France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

I've never heard of this before - all credit cards I have had require a signature on the back. Nowadays almost all retailers and hotels use the chip and pin system, so if you have a 4 digit PIN number they won't even need to look at the card and you'll be OK. If you require a "manual" transaction I think you will have troubles.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

Actually in Switzerland, except for petrol stations' self service machines, the pin system is hardly used. Not like France or the UK where it is used all the time. The last time I had to use my PIN was November '08 and I was in - Australia!! Never used it once in the last 12 months here. BUT, that said, all the shops ask for the card to check your signature on the back. I think you would find you are getting yourself into lengthy discussions about whether or not your card is OK each time you present your card and I am afraid that you will frequently find retailers and restaurants who simply refuse to take it.

I suggest you ask your bank to issue a second card with your signature on it. then you will not have a problem in Switzerland.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,301 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

Hambagahle that is not correct! You use your pin at any Migros or Coop store and in many other shops along the country. I use it very regularely and even more often as I need to sign.

Normaly you will need your signed card in the other shops as Hambagahle said above.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

Pore

It IS correct - I use my PIN with my Maestro DEBIT card at the Coop, Migros etc. NOT with my VISA credit card...and that is what the OP was talking about - Credit cards!! With credit cards, we sign. There is a big difference and though they now have debit cards in the US I am not at all sure they are accepted here.

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,092 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

Attention: you may be checked in Migros or Coop when you want to use your PIN. Their system asks them to do so from time to time. If you are the one to be checked, they control your signature onthe back of your card. Had it lately at Migros and it touched the customer in front of me at Coop.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,301 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

Sorry Hambagahle, doggielover asks for credit cards.

pore

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
988 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

Yup..when paying in Migros with Visa you have to enter your PIN. More and more venues demand this for security reasons.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

I know he asks for Credit cards, Pore!! And I use my VISA card all the time in restaurants, for train tickets, for hotels, and at department stores. What I am saying is that my signature is always controlled, and I have never, ever, been asked to use a PIN. I DO use a PIN with my maestro (the old EC) card at the Migros and the Coop, but this is not a credit card it is a debit card! And as you say, and as I replied originally, he is talking about credit cards. I would not risk coming here with a credit card that did not have my signature on the back. Shop assistants, waiters etc will simply not understand the "ID required" bit he says is there...

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,301 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

I think we should stop this discussion as there will be no end

pore

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Card Without Signature on Back

I will add, that when I used my credit card in Switzerland, they checked my signature every time. I kept having to get it back out to show to the cashier since I am not used to having to show the signature here in the U.S.