We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided Tour around Switzerland - Budget

Riyadh
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Guided Tour around Switzerland - Budget

Hi ,

I would like to know what are the Best Budget Guided Tour operators in Geneva? I would prefer a 8-10 day guided tour by bus or train with English speaking guides around Switzerland.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided Tour around Switzerland - Budget

Hi Sportster188,

I think most people who use this forum are independent travellers, so this is possibly why you haven't had a response about finding a budget tour. Have you considering doing it yourself? It's very straightforward in Switzerland?

If this option interests you, your first step would be to consider where you might like to go in Switzerland. You know where your start point is (Geneva), so that's useful and you can plan from there. To help you think about places you might like to go, I would suggest investing in a guidebook or taking a look at the official Swiss tourism website www.myswitzerland.com

They have a suggested 10 day self guided tour that is worth looking at for pointers, although I think I might find the pace of it a bit much:

www.myswitzerland.com/en/page.cfm/93746

For planning your trip, think about the pace. Do you want to dash around with a different place every day? This suits some people, but bear in mind that with every new place you will have had to leave your hotel/hostel, travel to the new place and find your hotel/hostel - all of which takes up time. Consider instead giving yourself a good few days or more in each place to really get a feel of the area, and even do some day trips from your base. Every person likes different things, so there is no fit all tour of Switzerland if you plan it yourself - this is the charm though, because you can really get off the beaten track if it interests you.

Public transport in Switzerland is safe, clean, punctual, efficient and easy to use. Views are frequently scenic and for many, it is an integral part of their Swiss holiday experience. You can look and see if journeys are practical by using www.rail.ch All you have to do is enter your "from" and "to" points and it works it all out for you, including timings and platform numbers.

Finally, just to say, that if you do choose to plan your own tour, you might find this quite cost efficient. There are passes you can get for public transport, and if you struggle with accommodation, you can always ask for advice here on the forum. Many people save money by buying delicious food from the supermarkets and having picnics. Switzerland need not be prohibitavely expensive for the budget traveller.

Hope that helps start you off.

Riyadh
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided Tour around Switzerland - Budget

Thanks for your response. I have received the same response from elsewhere so I have decided that i would do it my self without a tour.

I read on the forum that one can get around switzerland with English so I guess language wont be an issue.

Any way, I'll chalk out a plan and share it for your comments.

Thanks for your input.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided Tour around Switzerland - Budget

Best of luck.

4. Re: Guided Tour around Switzerland - Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 03, 2010