We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of food

Sydney
2 posts
Save Topic
Cost of food

Hello,

We are a group of 6 student friends planning a backpackking trip of 30 days to Europe. While we have more or less finalized our places, I need your help with regard to costs of food, drinks and water

Most of the threads I saw in the forum give good advice of restuarants but we people dont really mind eating food from fast food joints, road side stalls, bakeries etc...

We would like our food costs to average no more than 10 euros per person per meal. How do we achieve this in switzerland. Again we are not particularly interested in eating inside restuarants. Can you give an idea of how much food items would cost, say at a roadside stall, Turkish fast food stores (doners etc), McD, bakeries etc...

My next question is about water... I've heard everyone has to buy water to drink and there are no water fountains in public places. How expensive is water ?

How and where can we get beer from without having to shell out too much money ?

Thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of food

> I've heard everyone has to buy water to drink and there are no water fountains in public places.

Wonder where you have heard it. There are lots and lots of public fountains. Nobody "has" to buy water.

>How expensive is water ?

in a Migros or Coop supemarket - SFr 0,40-0,50 for a 1,5 L bottle, and upwards from this.

>How and where can we get beer from without having to shell out too much money ?

If you mean bottled beer - from any supermarket, except Migros chain (they don´t sell any alcohol or tobacco)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,348 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of food

Hi oracle of oz,

That's a very tight budget for food, and you never mention using grocery stores. I love buying and munching on wonderful, fresh food from the many grocers. There are prepared salads there, great local hams, of course Swiss cheese and yogurts, and of course wine and beer. You can eat within your budget using grocery stores a lot, especially if you share the food, i.e., one block of cheese will feed two or three of you, etc. Also, make sure that your lodging will supply breakfast, and make it a very hearty one!

About water -- buy one bottle of water, then re-use it, filling it from the tap. Make sure you wash it out every day though. Tap water is very safe.

Have fun!

s

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of food

You won't have a problem with thre tap water , I just refilled my own bottle but your eating budget is tight. You can get good take away sandwiches from even the road side gas stations in Germany & Austriafor about 4-6 Euro. Switzerland if you eat at the hotel breakfast it is usually 15chf for the continental . I ate at Mc D's today at the airport it was 11.90 chf for a happy meal for me and a coke for the husband. Everything is Swizerland is very pricey about 50 % higher than Italy or Austria. Bottle water in a restraunt is 4.50 chf but at a Migros or Co-op reasonable. So if you want to eat at grocery stores your budget would workhowever a cheap dinner in Switerland is about 20 chf.

Have fun it is beautiful, take lots of memory for the camera or a lap top .

Sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of food

Thanks for all your help guys. This information is really great.

I had heard about the water thing from a friend who had returned from a trip to Germany. He told me that you always have to buy water, so the confusion. (i just presumed that was the case in Switzerland too)

Well I have no issues in eating out of supermarts and groceries stores. I mean we can eat out once in a while but does not make sense for us students to spend so much money on food.

Oh yes thats for the suggestion. We are taking our cameras and I am packing up my laptop too for storing all the pictures. We are really looking forward for this trip.

Well from what you tell me, I think we can survive on that budget (may be go over a little, but we wont mind)

thanks for all your help again guys !

Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,348 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of food

Hi again,

Well, your friend is misinformed! I've spent some time in Germany and used tap water there too. Also, you can ask (and I did!) for tap water in restaurants.

Anyway, have a ball!

s

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of food

Hi oz - you can get by fairly cheaply. We have just returned and were on a tight budget. We found that we could get a big bowl of soup and bread at a lot of places for about 9 CHF (sorry, don't know in euros). that would be lunch and then supper we'de attack the supermarkets - we usually hit the Co-op, or Coop as we called it. They do salads, sandwiches and stuff for around 6 CHF (maximum, sandwishes less than that), and they have a great choice. Winter is not too good for salads of course, but you can certainly get by. It's very expensive food wise, but one learns! Oh, and water situation - as already said! have a ball!

geneva
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of food

no problem with drinking tap water, just don't let yourself be pushed into ordering mineral water, insist on tap water in restaurants.

as for the food, you do not need to buy ready made sandwiches, a much cheaper option is to buy bread, cold cuts, cheeses, carrots, tomatoes, whatever appeals to you and then make your own sandwiches, that way at least 2 or 3 people can eat for the price of one sandwich! also in swiss supermarkets you can buy hard boiled eggs, they are the ones with the red dyed shells on the shelves!

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of food

Wondered what the red eggs were Caviar! Now I know. Another tip oz - going along the lines of Caviar's advice - is to take some plastic cutlery with you so you can cut stuff like cheese etc. We didn't need a spoon or a fork, admittedly, as the salads some with a dinky little fold-up spoon/fork combination, but a knife would be useful, the others maybe as well.They weigh nothing and once there u can just slip them into your day pack.

9. Re: Cost of food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 11, 2009