We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland in November

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland in November

Hi

I am planning to visit Switzerland in the 1st week of november, with my wife and my three yr old son. Can anyone advise me how the weather will be like, and general conditions in Interlaken and around?

I went in April 2006 and it was fabulous. I am just a little worried that it might not be very tourist friendly in nov, and dull with places closing down early etc.?

Also, can someone suggest me places around interlaken.. like Grindelwald? I dont want to visit big cities like Zurich..

We'll be there for 8 days or so.

Thanks!!

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland in November

Mid October the tourist season ends. The weather can be cool, fogy and rainy/snowy in the mountains. Many of the mountain transport systems will be closed due for service works (for your security). You can also have good look and have fantastic weather as it was two years ago. But this is the exception!

You can find more information and places at

www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/home

If you can, I would recommend to come earlier or later (if you like cold weather and snow).

Pore

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland in November

Hey.. thanks for the advice..

its probably not the best time to go for sure.. but thats the only time i have on hand, and i wont be able to make the trip for atleast another year after that!

we dont plan to move around too much.. just want to relax, enjoy the scenery, drink some beer and so on..

i dont even mond spending most of the time in Interlaken...

London
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland in November

I agree 1st week of November isn't the best month to visit Switzerland. Bit if you have settled your schedule -

Mountain weather is not reliable. You could strike lucky and have some glorious autumn days. At its best, it is fabulous with the crisp clear air and golden larch trees.

You won't have trouble finding accommodation where hotels are open, so you can book last minute, and be flexible as to where you stay. If the weather is fine, stay in the Grindelwald/Interlaken area. If it's not so great, stay maybe in Lucerne, where there is more to do in rainy weather. Or maybe it will be nice in the Ticino or around Montreux or in the Engadin. All these places are full of interest. If you get a Swiss Pass, you can also make last-minute decisions for day trips or to move on. For example, if you are staying in Interlaken, you can head down to Locarno in the Ticino. It's beautiful there and the Centovalli train ride is super. If you leave early, you can be there by 11am. Or go to Montreux on the scenic goldenpass train and visit the Castle of Chillon. Sometimes the weather is rainy in the north and sunny in the Ticino or the Lake Geneva region or the southern Engadin.

Also, you can choose places with indoor swimming pools/spa facilities, etc, or other interesting indoor activities.

London
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland in November

Hi amit210, I posted just as you did. If you just want to hang around, one of my favourite autumn off-season hotels is the Parkhotel Bellevue in Adelboden. The food, wine, and pools and spa facilities are fabulous, Adelboden is a charming traditional resort on the other side of the Bernese Oberland, and has a reputation for being sunny. Of course it doesn't have the lakes, like Interlaken has. From there, you can always visit Thun + castle nearby, or Brienz. So good luck with the weather and enjoy whatever the weather.

5. Re: Switzerland in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 07, 2009