We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in December

Singapore
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Topic
Weather in December

Hi

I will be visiting Switzerland from 1st Dec to 7th Dec...

may i know is it snowing in Switzerland at that time of the year? and will it be very cold during this period?...

as i am goin with a group tour and will be visiting Zermatt, Montreux, Berne, Mt. Titlis, Rhone Valley and Interlaken and my last destination will be Lucerne before transfer back to Zurich airport for my flight back. Question is if i wan to extend my stay in Switzerland for another 4 days, where can i proceed to after my tour ends?

are there any places which are worth visiting which i have visited? If there are, wat are they and wat is the easilest and cheapest mode of transport that we can take? also not forgetting that we have to return to Zurich Airport for our flight back home...so hopefully somewhere easy for us to return to the airport on the departure day itself

or i were to stay at Lucerne, which hotels are recommended?..i am looking at hotels abt 100-150CHF per nite..Lastly, if i were to stay in Lucerne area, wats the best mode of transport that can bring me to the airport taking into account that 1 willhave 2 large luggages to carry. And how much does it cost?

thank alot...

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in December

Usually it's only snowing in higher up places, but you never know and don't expect to walk around without a warm jacket.

There are many places. I guess a good idea would be to go to the Engadin valley (St. Moritz and surroundings) or the Ticino with mildest climate in Switzerland. Also Zurich and Lucerne are nice for a stay, depends on your interests. Easiest way to travel around is always the train for timetables and costs have a look at www.sbb.ch/en and swisstravelsystem.ch

Singapore
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in December

hi mube

thanx for the recommendation...by the way where can i find railway map so i can have a clearer idea on the stations and hotels around the stations...

thank u

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in December

This one is for an overview of the public transport in Switzerland swisstravelsystem.ch/fileadmin/pdf/STS-G-M-0… Many bus lines are missing, but rest is pretty complete.

If you want to know about distances between hotel and train station use http://map.search.ch You can search for addresses and it points out all stops of any mean of public transport, museums some shops, etc.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in December

Layers are the best idea for December. It can be rainy, sleety, snowy, foggy or crisp. You will be visiting a number of different altitudes, so you have to be prepared for some different temperatures. I would recommend having warm trousers (something like cords are a good idea as jeans can be cold, particularly if they get wet), a warm fleecy jumper and a thick jacket. A woolly hat, scarf and gloves would be a good idea. Some sturdy boots and thick socks would be helpful. It's not necessary to invest in a ski jacket, as you can layer up, adding a plastic raincoat over the top if necessary. However, if you think you are more likely to feel the cold, you could consider getting a basic ski jacket (padded jacket) on e-bay. On warmer days, or when you are in town, you can wear fewer layers as necessary.

5. Re: Weather in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 05, 2009