We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gryon and Gimmelwald

5 posts
Gryon and Gimmelwald

I am staying 3 nights in Gryon at the Swiss Alps Retreat the second week in August. I am considering cutting that stay to 2 nights and staying 2 or 3 nights in Gimmelwald - the Pension in Gimmelwald has rooms available (Mountain Hostel is booked).

Has anyone been to both? My only concern about Gimmelwald is it seems highly promoted by Rick Steves and hoards of others may be considering the same area.

Many thanks, Carol

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Gryon and Gimmelwald

I've passed Gimmelwald on a hike once - it is a tiny village of maybe 50 inhabitants on the slope below Muerren, and it is overrun by American, British and Australian backpackers who number at least 5 times the inhabitant number. It is beautsifully situated, but, well... not as "original" as it was once.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Gryon and Gimmelwald

I have been puzzled for some time as to why some people on this site seem to be so keen on Gimmelwald, as it is just like several thousand other hamlets in the Alps. I have walked through it dozens of times without thinking that it would be good to stay there.

5 posts
3. Re: Gryon and Gimmelwald

Well, I guess you can blame Rick Steves, an American Travel Writer, for American interest in Gimmelwald.

ricksteves.com/plan/…gimbd.htm

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
347 reviews
4. Re: Gryon and Gimmelwald

LondonBob: When were were in Lauterbrunnen for a week in June 2004 I didn't see too many visitors at all in Gimmelwald. Granted I didn't stay there rather in Murren so I did venture through Gimmelwald on 2 or 3 different occasions. As to why so many people talk about it is probably due to the fact that the research has already been done for us. I know you say that you have ventured through many hamlets like Gimmelwald, but unfortunately I and many other readers in the US live much further away from these destinations than you. So when we venture a 10 hour plane ride and several thousand dollars in expense we want to be sure of what we are going to see...and Gimmelwald seems to fit that need. If you have other destinations/information that you can offer to us then please do. I would be glad to find more places like Gimmelwald.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
195 reviews
5. Re: Gryon and Gimmelwald

I was surprised originally by Gimmelwald and needed to look it up, although I know the Jungfrau area well. It's recommended by Rick Steves so is safe by American standards, and hence has far more visitors than the other small villages which haven't got the same endorsement. You can be really sure there will be other Americans there, it's much more like home than other villages. After Gimmelwald many learn to be more adventurous and try other places that haven't been recommended by Rick Steves and get to see more of the people and the way others live as well as the beautiful scenery they saw so well from Gimmelwald.

You will see the same on the Greek pages, to Americans Greece is Athens, Mykonos and Santorini, and for the youngsters Ios and the Pink Palace in Corfu.