We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided hiking tour in the Alps

Geneva, Switzerland
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Guided hiking tour in the Alps

Hi,

We’d like to do a guided hiking tour in the Swiss Alps this summer. It’ll be our first time in the Alps, so we think it’s wise to hike with a professional guide.

Has anyone used a company called YokmoK?

http://www.yokmok.com/index_e.html

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided hiking tour in the Alps

>It’ll be our first time in the Alps, so we think it’s wise to hike with a professional guide.

If you are used to the hiking in the Norwegian or northern Swedish mountains you don´t need a guide. There is a dense network of well marked trails and many huts to stay over night. The Alps are far more densely settled than the mountains in Scandinavia so practically every valley will contain towns or villages where you can stay as well.

Geneva, Switzerland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided hiking tour in the Alps

Thanks for the info but we still prefer to hike with a professional guide. Although we hike a lot in Sweden, I wouldn’t say we are experienced hikers, al least not enough to be confident in doing a hut-to-hut trek in the Alps. We prefer to pay a bit extra and walk safely.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided hiking tour in the Alps

Honestly, it's really easy. Routes are marked with yellow plastic sign posts, or yellow paint markers. Even at the top of a mountain pass, there's the trusty yellow sign.

People on this forum could tell you specific enjoyable walks that they have done, with very detailed information about timings, where to stay and what to bring with you.

I did this for someone with an easy walk to a hut and they were able to follow my public transport directions, walking advice and tips.

Perhaps at least consider it, and see what people can come up with for you...think of the sense of pride if you did arrange it for yourself (plus, think of the money saved that you could spend on extra fondues and bars of chocolate).

Geneva, Switzerland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided hiking tour in the Alps

Hi. I’m a bit confused here. Maybe for experienced hikers and locals the routes are easy. But for me a hut-to-hut trek in the Alps is not trivial. We don’t want to be based in a village and do daily outings, this we could do on our own. We want a multiday hut-to-hut trek.

Two summers ago, 3 friends of mine did a hut-to-hut trek in the Alps. They had more or less the same opinions I read here, easy and well marked. One day a blizzard hit them pretty hard, together with thick fog. The conditions changed in a matter of minutes, from a nice summer day to a wintry situation. The visibility they had was less than 5 meters, snowing hard, and they couldn’t see the path neither ahead of them nor behind. They got simply lost. They attempted to call the mountain rescue helicopter but didn’t have any network signal. So they spent a terrible night outdoors in an improvised shelter. I don’t think my girlfriend would appreciate this.

Once I read some statistics about accidents in the Alps. I was shocked to know that around 100 people die every year in the Alps. Most of them were doing alpinism and ski mountaineering, but almost 10 people were simply hiking.

We have decided to do our hut-to-hut trek with a professional guide, so I wondered if anyone knew this YokmoK company.

Paris, France
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided hiking tour in the Alps

Hello!

I have travelled with YokmoK snowshoeing to the Swedish Lapplands, trekking in Switzerland to the St. Bernard Pass, and snowshoeing/sledding in the French Jura mountains. They are a great adventure travel company and are very professional. I recommend them 100%. They will adapt to the speed of the group, will take all safety precautions, and best of all, they are a lot of fun. I plan to continue going on trips with them.

Geneva
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided hiking tour in the Alps

Hi -

I used Yokmok and I was really happy with them. They are professional and very cool, too. I am from the US and I have used different guides throughout Europe and Yokmok is my favorite. I am an experienced hiker, too.

I hope you have a good hike.

7. Re: Guided hiking tour in the Alps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, July 17, 2010