We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel to Geneva by Train

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
30 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Basel to Geneva by Train

Hi o all!

I'm planning to go to switzerland in june 2008, just for 3 days. I'm arriving at Basel and departing from Geneva. The idea is to go down by train and stop to sleep in Ben and Geneva, but also pass trough lausabbe.

Which is the best ticket option for this? Can I buy a ticket for example from Basel to Laussane vía Bern and stop for a night?

Thn a ferry might be interesting from Lausanne to Geneva is that too expensive?

Bye

Sebastian

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,358 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

Hi Segafer,

You can get the schedules and fares for each of these trips at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

Be careful to use the correct spelling: Bern, Lausanne, etc.

For the limited amount of travel that you'll be doing, I don't think that a pass would be worthwhile for you; point-point tickets will probably be cheaper.

Train tickets are usually good for 24 hours, so you can stop as often as you want during that one day. No need to buy the tickets in advance; you can pick up your day's tickets in the morning before you hop on.

Ferry rides are more expensive than using the trains. You can check the schedules & fares at this site

www.cgn.ch.

I think the trip from Lausanne to Geneva might be too long to be enjoyable (I think it'll be more than two hours). A shorter, more enjoyable, trip might be from Montreux to Lausanne.

Good luck!

s

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

I think that the train ticket may be valid on the boat as well as long as you are going in the right direction. May be a Swiss resident can confirm this.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,358 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

For mostlybytrain (good morning, btw!) -- the ferry fares are more expensive. For instance, the train fare between Vevey & Montreux is under 10 chf but the ferry ride is over 20 chf (don't have the exact figures with me now). I've done both lots of times.

So, I can't imagine that the train fare would be valid on the ferry without a supplement.

Sure wish it were!!

s

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

(Good afternoon to you.) You are probably correct as nearly always!

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
30 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

Thanks, I will investigate a bit for how long the tickets are valid.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

For: mostlyby train; swandav

Good evening!

in terms of validity, for a train ticket to be valid for the boat, you need to specify "boat" ["schiff"] as one of the "via"'s (if you're doing it on the ticket machine; or just ask for it if buying at the counter).

in terms of length, the tickets are usually valid 24 hours, but some are valid 30 days if it is a roundrip over 150km or something like that... unfortunately i left my bible in switzerland, so i can't tell you exactly :| [ and by "bible" i mean the swiss railway timetables, of course ;) ]

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

Thank you for your reply. I knew that there was a way of doing it, though I've not suceeded working it out on line. I see you speak railway enthusiast!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,802 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

>Which is the best ticket option for this? Can I buy a ticket for example from Basel to Laussane vía Bern and stop for a night?

You can buy a ticket into France, to the first stop past French border (Bellegarde? Annemasse?). An international ticket is valid for 2 months, and it shouldn´t cost more than a few extra Fr.

9. Re: Basel to Geneva by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, September 19, 2009