We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

Hi everyone

I have been on the Swiss rail site and from what I can gather to get from Geneva to Interlaken I need to give via Bern.

Is this correct?

I was hoping to get a train direct from Geneva to Interlaken.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks for your help.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

What's the problem about changing a train? It's very easy to do, you only need one ticket for the hole trip and Swiss trains are always on time. You don't need to reserve a seat for this trip, so you can take the train at any time you want or stay for a couple of hours in Bern.

The route via Bern is the fastest, an other option would be the very scenic Golden Pass route via Gstaad. (but you have to change trains in Montreux and Zweisimmen)

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

>I have been on the Swiss rail site and from what I can gather to get from Geneva to Interlaken I need to give via Bern.

Is this correct?

Do you think we know the schedule details of the Swiss rail better than the Swiss Rail itself?

I was hoping to get a train direct from Geneva to Interlaken.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

If the sbb travel planner says it is not possible - why ask? We can only use the same resources as you already used too.

Why this fear of train change anyway? There are 2 trains per hour from Geneva to Bern and also 2 trains per hour to Interlaken. If you miss one, you take the next.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

Whats all this ...the poor man only asked a simple question! Either give him an answer or leave it.

The answer to his question is: You HAVE to go via Bern and you have to at least change trains once. Yon can check your luggage all way through to Interlaken from Geneva, and changing in Bern is no hassle. Allthough Switzerland has one of the best railway systems in the world....still noway every single Town can be connected directly. If you arrived in Zürich your wish would come true.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

The problem may be that because of the recent floods the railway line between Lausanne and Bern is currently closed north of Fribourg. There is a note to that effect on www.rail.ch and after putting the destinations into the onl ine timetable you are routed via Renens and Biel/Bienne. There are direct trains from Bern to Interlaken.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

The railway between Fribourg and Bern will be reopened tomorrow.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

Thanks Rister for the response.

And I agree completely with him.

WHY IS EVERYONE BEING SO RUDE?

I asked a very simple question. All I needed was a yes or no answer. The reason I asked is because a friend mentioned travelling DIRECTLY from Geneva to Interlaken in the past.

No I don't have a problem changing trains so all you grumpy people need to get off your high horses and CHILL OUT.

Thanks again Rister.

Really disappointing from the rest of you.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

Hey! I hope that doesn't include me I thought I was being helpful?

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

You are right, toffa24

It was a simple question which led to some negative comments, especially from people who normally are very helpful to tourists from all over the world.

But I confirm, that your friend was not right. There has never been a regular direct train from Geneva to Interlaken. But the change at Berne is so easy to do that he probably simply forgot it. :-)

Have a nice journey. All the best.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

I'm surprised how much people felt offended by my answer, it was not meant like this. What I tried to say was, that there is no problem about changing trains in Switzerland. Maybe there was also a culutural diffrence working. Anyway I want to say sorry.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confusion - getting from Geneva to Interlaken

Thanks to everyone on this page who gave positive feedback.

I have never travelled in Europe before and, in particular, have never used a rail system before - in Australia everyone drives or flies over long distances. Therefore, this may explain why my questions seem 'simplistic'.

I was asking a simple question and a few people decided to give me sarcastic answers. I appreciate that some of them have apologised but they may want to reconsider the way they talk to people on this website in the future. Alternatively, maybe they should stop participating if they can't refrain from being rude.

Once again, thanks to everyone who provided me with answers to my questions. It was greatly appreciated.