We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland in December

Singapore
Level Contributor
239 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland in December

Anyone here been to Switzerland in December? Since the days are short, is it worth going to Switzerland in Dec? Which are the places that would be nice to visit in Dec?

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,007 reviews
from $168.80*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,187 reviews
from $160.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
347 reviews
from $243.10*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
650 reviews
from $105.10*
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland in December

LittleMay...read a bit on Switzerland.......a lot of people go to Switzerland in December (belive me or not) and then come back and ask specific questions...

switzerland.com/en.cfm/switzerland/geography…

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland in December

I've been to Switzerland in every month, and it's always worth going! What kinds of things interest you? Do you want to go on a skiing holiday? Let us know more what sort of holiday you are thinking about and then people can advise you more.

Singapore
Level Contributor
239 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland in December

Thank you Northwest Londener.

I will be in Switzerland for a week in Dec. My purpose of the trip is to experience some snow and christmas in europe as it is always hot from where I come from, Singapore.

I am thinking of going St Moritz, Zermatt, Zurich and Lucerne. However, there are also many places that I would like to visit like Bernese Oberland, Montreaux and Bern...but do not have the time to visit all these pplaces. Hence I would like an opinion of which are the nicer, recommended places for winter. I would like an equal mix of cities and mountains. I do not ski but would like to do some snow tobaganning, horse sleigh rides etc.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland in December

Let's open this up to the field - where do people think is the best place for sledging and all things jingle bells in December? Montreux is a lovely place, but it's mostly not snowy, so I'd save the lake for another trip.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland in December

Hi all,

Well, I think this desire is a little problematic. Finding slow & sleigh rides in December may be tough. I was in Wengen in mid- late- January, and there were only a few days of snow in the village.

Of course, you can find snow, but it'll be on the glaciers or mountaintops, and one probably wouldn't want to spend a lot of time there.

But in December, really, I love all of Switzerland. Even if there's no snow and it's cold and cloudy and overcast -- it's still the best place to be!

s

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,987 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switzerland in December

I was going to say Upper Engadine, but they often suffer even worse from lack of snow in December than other mountainous pats of Switzerland, due to the especially dry and warm microclimate of the valley.

Singapore
Level Contributor
239 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switzerland in December

Thanks all for your comments.

Hmm....seems like snow is difficult...forget about the snow then.

In your opinion, which are the nicer places to visit in December? It will probably be many years, maybe even decades later that I will go to switzerland again (since its so far from home). Hence would like to maximise the number of places I can visit.

Any suggestions?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Switzerland in December

Hi again,

I'm afraid I'm going to have to repeat what rister said above -- your trip will be better if you can do a little research.

ALL of Switzerland is GREAT. There's no way that we (or at least I) can pick a few places for you; the selection is just too great.

I suggest you find some images of Switzerland and see which areas appeal the most to you. Once you have some places that intrigue you, we can help you find activities and hotels there.

You can find images of Switzerland online at google or at www.webshots.com, or you can find them in a bookstore or library.

Good luck!

s

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Switzerland in December

I agree with rister and swandav, but to help move things forward a bit - if you plan to be in Switzerland on Christmas day, an idea for a chance of snow would be the village of Champex au Lac in Valais. It is in a snow pocket, not aimed at serious skiers, quite charming, and if the lake is frozen over, Santa might arrive on a husky-drawn sleigh (he did when we were there). Then as a contrast before Christmas, Lucerne might be a good choice especially if it has a nice Christmas market.

Zurich
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Switzerland in December

There is no guarantee that you will have snow but last winter was particulary warm.. I think the places you mention in your former message are great. I would defenetly make the trip to Zermatt because the view of the Matterhorn is breathtaking and you will defenetly have snow there. It is a beatiful train ride from Zermatt to St. Moritz or vice versa. Zurich will be a good place for doing some serious christmas shopping.

Cheers,

bowmore