We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regarding visit to Mont Blanc from Geneva/Nyon Switzerland

2 posts
Save Topic
Regarding visit to Mont Blanc from Geneva/Nyon Switzerland

Hi, i will be visiting Geneva, Switzerland from 30 June to 7 July for a conference. During my stay i want to visit Mont Blanc from Geneva/Nyon. Can i kindly know how to reach Mont Blanc and the expenses that will incur. From the forum i came to know that first we have to reach Chamonix and from there we have reach Mont Blanc by cable car. So can i know about the charges by bus from Geneva/Nyon to Chamonix and charges to reach Mont Blanc through cable car.

Also is it a thing to visit Mont Blanc over Rochers De Naye? Thank You in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Mont Blanc
Mont Blanc
1,223 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Nyon
Nyon
Nyon District, Switzerland
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Rochers-de-Naye
Rochers-de-Naye
767 Reviews
Montreux, Switzerland
3 replies to this topic
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regarding visit to Mont Blanc from Geneva/Nyon Switzerland

What you probably mean is the cable car up Aiguille du Midi for the great views there, also on nearby Mont-Blanc. See for instance https:/…en.html for an excellent overview on access and prices. Or http://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/

Chamonix (I don't like that new marketing name "Chamonix-Mont-Blanc") can be reached from France, or from Switzerland via Martigny, from there small train (with change in Vallorcine) on a very scenic route. Possible also by car.

Mont-Blanc is Alps highest mountain - and nothing like a cable car up there, regular access still is mountain climbing (nothing technically difficult, but needs experience and is physically challenging).

On access from France and Chamonix itself maybe better use TA France forums.

Edited: 10:43 am, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
France
France
Europe
Martigny
Martigny
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,088 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regarding visit to Mont Blanc from Geneva/Nyon Switzerland

From the Geneva area the fastest and cheapest way to get to Chamonix (and I agree with jm2cents - I hate the new marketing term too!!) is by shared van transfer from the GVA airport. You have to book these in advance and the cost is about €25 each way. one of the many companies that runs these is www.chamexpress.com For the others check the Chamonix tourist office site.

Journey takes about 90 mins.

The Aiguille du Midi cable cars will get you a close look a the Mt Blanc. (I have to assume you do not want to climb it!!) You can take these over to Italy and back but that is a very expensive and time-consuming thing. Most people are happy with the trip up to the Aiguille du Midi. However if you have any fear of heights do NOT do this trip. The last several minutes of the second cable car are straight up a rock face. Queues are longer as the day goes on for this but you can book your time of departure in advance - again via the Chamonix Mt Blanc website.

Views of the Mt Blanc from the centre of Chamonix are extraordinary. Find a nice terrace to have lunch and enjoy the views. (one such is at the Maison Carrier...)

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
5,964 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Regarding visit to Mont Blanc from Geneva/Nyon Switzerland

Thank you so much for the suggestions and the help :)

Reply to: Regarding visit to Mont Blanc from Geneva/Nyon Switzerland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted