We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month

Hi

We'll be in Switzerland for one week next month (3 adults). We're staying in Lucerne for three nights and Grindelwald for three nights. I've read lots of posts on the Switzerland forum but am still unsure about a few things.

As far as what to do/see... I know I'd like to visit Mt Titlis (as my young adult son has never seen snow), take a boat ride on Lake Lucurne and have a macaron or two whilst in Lucerne. Also, weather permitting, take the trains to the 'Top of Europe' from Grindelwald.

My questions are

1. Should we be doing only Mt Titlis or the Top of Europe, not both?

2. Other ideas for our limited time schedule.

3. What activities are there to do at Titlis during July...ie will my adult kids need water snow pants as they love having fun?

4. Will sneakers be sufficient as we're going to a number of different countries whilst travelling and have luggage restrictions? Do we do need snow boots for the two mountain visits listed above/ hiking boots for Grindelwald area. If needed, can we hire these and the approx costs? (I've googled like crazy and don't seem to be getting anywhere!)

5. Do we need snow gloves for Mt Titlis and the Top of Europe in mid July?

6. Apart from absorb the amazing view, should we be planning to do anything else whilst at the Top of Europe?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Viv

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Titlis
Titlis
102 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Europe
Europe
World
Mount Titlis
Mount Titlis
2,630 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,053 Reviews
from $163.00*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,245 Reviews
from $152.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
371 Reviews
from $250.20*
6 replies to this topic
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month

Hi Viv

Lucerne: Look at the Top Questions about Lucerne which excursions you can do from there. If you would decide to do the roundtrip over Brienzer Rothorn you would use trains, buses, cable cars, a steam train and the scenic Bruenig railway. Mt. Titlis is about 3000 meters high. Normally you would need to bring a wind proof jaquet and water proof shoes as you will be in the snow up there.

1. Titlis is one of the many options from Lucerne and Jungfraujoch is a great option from Grindelwald.

2. For the Lucerne area see above, for the Grindelwald area see www.myjungfrau.ch

3. see www.titlis.ch/en they will have fun in the snow if you allow them

4. water proof shoes are OK and this is what you need everywhere if ever there would be a rainy day.

5. no, you do not (I would anyway not recommend to spend the money for it if the sights are not clear).

6. You will be busy. Hiking is the manner to enjoy the mountains.

Have a great trip

pore

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Rothorn
Rothorn
288 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Mount Titlis
Mount Titlis
2,630 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Titlis
Titlis
102 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,483 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month

Thanks so much for your help and information Pore, you've made me feel a lot more at ease (and excited) about our trip. To clarify, would waterproof sneakers/trainers be sufficient for the mountains and some hiking?

Thanks again,

Viv

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month

I would choose shoes as there is less water entering.

pore

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month

I would say you probably need only one snow experience, spend the other days a bit away from the big crowds and enjoy the tranquility of the mountains a bit more. A little off topic but I visited Sydney with my young adult son last October, we hired a car for 4 days, had planned snorkelling at Byron Bay but a storm came in, so we went South and snowshoed at Thredbo then the next day walked in snow at Mt Hotham. Both had far more snow in kinder weather than I have found in Switzerland in the summer, and they were not busy in any way, so don’t panic, there is an alternative. Actually why not plan both but don’t book either. Then buy tickets on the day if visibility is good, so you get quite a few chances. If you do get up Titlis then you can decide afterwards if you also want to try Jungfraujoch.

Mentioned in this post
Titlis
Titlis
102 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,483 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month

Good idea, thank you :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,681 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month

Even though the temperature might be less than 20, when hiking with the sun shining, it gets very hot. Wear thin layers.

Reply to: What to pack for one week in Switzerland next month
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;