We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)

Cape Town, South...
5 posts
Save Topic
Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)

Hi,

I am wanting to buy train tickets from Bern via Visp to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn. On the SBB website I am now able to buy 'Supersaver tickets' 30 days ahead of our trip to get the best deal. I am however having trouble making sense of whether I am buying the correct tickets. Perhaps somoene can help

Below is what I have in my basket ready to purchase online.

Bern to Zermatt (Via Visp)

2nd class

2 × savings day card 80040 = CHF 104.00 (CHF 52 per adult)

1 × children's day ticket, child 6-16 with company 7 = CHF 16.00

This product requires the accompaniment of an adult

Total price = CHF 120.00

My quesition;

Is the "savings day card" an actual ticket? I am using Google translate to translate the SBB website into English so perhaps the card is actually a ticket OR is this a discount card that one buys to get discount on your ticket purchase? I hope this makes sense?

Mentioned in this post
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Visp
Visp
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Zermatt
Zermatt
The Matterhorn
The Matterhorn
3,159 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
6 replies to this topic
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)

No need translating SBB website into french, german, italian or english language - for english webpage simply use www.sbb.ch/en

But true - the old SBB website had an easy language selection menu point - have not found such an option in that "improved" version

The "Saver Day Pass" is a day pass for unlimited travel on most of the public transport network in Switzerland, Half Fare Card allows holders to travel using half fare tickets. So called "Super Saver tickets" can, but are not necessarily available for traveling - where available they are bound to a specific train.

Half Fare Card advantages can be used also for super-saver tickets and for Saver Day Passes.

When checking ticket prices, make sure to check for the right prices - SBB website is confusing by displaying by default "from" prices, most of time tickets for Half Fare Card holders. A full fare return 2nd class ticket Berne to Zermatt for instance costs CHF 180.00 - the most expensive (for tomorrow) Saver Day Pass costs CHF 106.00 and is also valid for Berne Zermatt return (and many detours ...)

And check different passes and a few pass combinations for an overall cost comparison - traveling up Zermatt for a specific day means taking chances with weather, and when in Zermatt by great weather take advantage of either train trip up Gornergart for the great views or cable cars up Klein Matterhorn for the views and an all year snow and ice experience. Not covered by passes (but 50% discount with some).

Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
The Matterhorn
The Matterhorn
3,159 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Cape Town, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)

Thank you! I almost bought the wrong tickets by the sounds of it. I'll take another look, hopefully I get it right this time.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)

THe SBB Website will offer you the saver day pass if that is the cheapest option for your trip. For you it turned out that this was the case.

With that pass you have unlimited use of all public transport, so this will get you to Zermatt just fine.

Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)

I would recommend that you take the old route via Kandersteg for some stunning views when you leave the tunnel to decend to Brig.Sit on the Right hand side, facing direction of travel for the best views.

Mentioned in this post
Kandersteg
Kandersteg
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Brig
Brig
Cape Town, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately time is a factor so the route via Kandersteg (I believe an hour longer) will not be possible.

Mentioned in this post
Kandersteg
Kandersteg
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)

That really is a shame.

Reply to: Train to Zermatt from Bern (via Visp)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;