We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Saver Tickets - When to Buy? When do prices change?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Super Saver Tickets - When to Buy? When do prices change?

Hello,

I have mapped out our week-long trip to Switzerland in the last week of June, and based on many spreadsheet comparisons -- we have decided that we will be using mostly point-to-point tickets, with junior travel cards for the kids and one day in which we have Saver Passes.

On our arrival day, we'll be going from the Geneva airport to Lausanne. When I look at the booking options, it shows that most trains are eligble for SuperSaver fares (black marking in upper left corner of each train time). The price is currently showing as 27 euros (one way). Should I be rushing to buy these now? How do I know if this is a good price or not? And should I expect this price to remain the same, etc.?

Thanks in advance. This has been a long process!

Mentioned in this post
Geneva Airport
Geneva Airport
Le Grand Saconnex, Switzerland
Lausanne
Lausanne
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,054 Reviews
from $164.30*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,247 Reviews
from $152.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,059 Reviews
from $252.20*
3 replies to this topic
Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Saver Tickets - When to Buy? When do prices change?

27 CHF is the standard 2nd class single. You will need to check further on your selected date/time to see the Supersaver price which will increase nearer the date of travel.

Supersaver tickets are not recommended for flight arrivals. If you miss your specific train if your plane is late you lose your ticket/money and will have to buy new tickets.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Saver Tickets - When to Buy? When do prices change?

Thank you! Good advice.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,079 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Saver Tickets - When to Buy? When do prices change?

Normal ticket GVA Lausanne only costs 27frs so I think what you are looking at is a normal ticket which means you can take ANY train on this route ANY time during the day and so OK when arriving by air.

All this said - look at getting a Half Fare card. this costs 120frs per adult and you get a free Family card which covers ALL children 6-16. then all your train, bus, boat, cable car etc fares will be 50% off and your children will travel free wherever you go. IF you have that heavy travel day all you need is a Saver Day Pass for the adults. nothing for the children.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva Airport
Geneva Airport
Le Grand Saconnex, Switzerland
Lausanne
Lausanne
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Reply to: Super Saver Tickets - When to Buy? When do prices change?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted