We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

Athens, Greece
1 post
Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

Does anyone have any information about fruit picking in Lausanne, Switzerland or Lyon, France?

We are 8 backpackers and are going there through Italy with very little information and a budget to cover only traveling expenses.

Does anyone know if we can contact someone for a job or do we go and ask in person? Whilst there can we camp somewhere, will there be places to stay for free? What are the wages/ working hours like? Are the workers provided with food?

Any information would be great!

8 replies to this topic
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,930 posts
204 reviews
1. Re: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

Practically impossible in Switzerland. You would need a work permit for short time work and the employer has to do a lot of paperwork for this.

A nice dream - but that is probably all it is unfortunately.

2. Re: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

Hi!

Sorry, but it is not true! Almost all yhe farms I contact in Switzerland pay cash in hand. And yes, they take you for one, two or few days.

Please, don't make comments when you don't know the reality!

Edited: 8:38 am, September 16, 2018
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
447 reviews
3. Re: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

Cicero F, please don't make comments on things you don't know. It's definitively illeagal as post 1 mentions and OP could get into problems if you give him wrongful information and he follows your lead.

4. Re: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

Hi sweet soul! I just tell the others what i have seen and experienced. I'm here now doing what I just said.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

It's largely illegal (fair amount of paperwork even for people from EU, for non-EU forget it), unless you have a valid work permit.

A certain number of farms do pay cash in hand, but it's strictly forbidden and there are checks by the local authorities.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,930 posts
204 reviews
6. Re: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

AND if you get caught working without a work permit you will be asked to leave the country - then it would be hard to come back again in the future. Please do not suggest to people that they do things that are (a) illegal and (b) dishonest.

7. Re: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

It is ilegal! A lot of people know that, but it ia your choice to follow the rules or not.

Cash in hand is possible in everywhere, even Switzerland.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,930 posts
204 reviews
8. Re: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France

Will someone please arrest this person and take it out of Switzerland?

Reply to: Fruit Picking in Switzerland or France
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted