We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in Switzerland

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling in Switzerland

Hi everyone!

Spending 4 nights each in Luzern and Wengen this coming August, and thinking it would be nice to do a bit of cycling. We are two adults in our mid 30s and one 5 year old child. Traffic-free routes preferred, as we wouldn’t want our boy cycling on busy roads. Are there any such routes, for example, around Lake Luzern, Interlaken or up in Wengen? I know Wengen is car-free, but also likely to have lots of ups and downs, which wouldn’t go down well! I’ve recently watched Rick Steves’ programme in the Jungfrau region, where he cycled down from Murren to Lauterbrunnen and then caught a furnicular back up to Murren. Looked perfect... just the wrong side of the valley for us! If there aren’t any suitable routes or child bikes, another option would be to have a child seat on one of the adult bikes. Could anyone offer us some advice in terms of options, routes or places to rent bikes?

Thanks very much!

8 replies to this topic
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling in Switzerland

If you look at GoogleMaps of the Wengen area there are roads which sidewind their way down to the Lauterbrunnen valley. I don't know how good they are for cycling. Could just be dirt roads. Worst case scenario is you have to switch to the Murren side of the valley and do the route you saw on the RS program. I've done that route myself and it's easy. While there is traffic along the main road in the valley, it's not much traffic at all, drivers are courteous, and there are side roads to use in any case.

paris london
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling in Switzerland

There are no mountain routes in the Wengen area that I would contemplate letting a five year old loose on, even if they're easy for an adult. Once you get there you will instantly understand why.

The Lauterbrunnen valley is the only remotely suitable location, as it is flattish. You could ride from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg on a wide, mostly paved road, which has very little traffic. Elsewhere in the valley you will either have traffic or rough surfaces, as far as I know.

California
Level Contributor
531 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling in Switzerland

You need to use the Swiss Mobility website to look at the various routes and options for family routes. Additional info on where to obtain bikes, etc. The website has a lot of depth, so learn to use it. See here:

schweizmobil.ch/en/cycling-in-switzerland/cy…

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,731 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling in Switzerland

Nomarmite's advice is to be heeded - with a 5 yr old.

Please do NOT try to ride down from Wengen with him (or her.)

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling in Switzerland

Thank you all for your help, but especially Terre2014 - that's a brilliant website! I also like the look of the e-cargo bikes on that website, perfect for transporting our little one! With that in mind, has anyone hired these bikes for a nice ride somewhere in the Interlaken or Luzern areas?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling in Switzerland

I see that a bike rental place called Imboden is highly recommended in Lauterbrunnen, and I've also read that the Lauterbrunnen Valley itself is a lovely bike ride, along a quiet back lane, possibly stopping off at Trummelbach to see the waterfalls along the way. Looking forward to a nice, relaxing ride!

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,731 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling in Switzerland

It won't take you long to bike to the Trummelbach falls - I can walk there in 20 mins from Lauterbrunnen. They are underground. You have to pay to get in . 11frs I think. They are spectacular and very loud. Prepare to get wet. You will see the Staubbach falls on the way. There are reputedly 72 waterfalls in the Lauterbrunnen valley though and you should see more of these if you keep biking south past Stechelberg.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling in Switzerland

Thank you!

Reply to: Cycling in Switzerland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted